Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lansdowne RFC

Options
  • 08-05-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Any word on where Lansdowne will play and train next season with the stadium and grounds redevelopment going ahead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

lansdowne is actually a football club not a RFC as it was formed prior to the establishment of football association in england.... from what i here training grounds has not been decided while the senior and under 20s will play in rds with junior sides playing in kilternan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

im a university history student and have done a course on sports history, i would highly recommend a book called sport and the british by richard holt if your at all interested in the history of sport and how modern sport came about.

anyway going back to original post all football clubs whether they had be of the football or rugby kind have the right to be called football clubs once they were founded prior to 1863 which is when the english FA came into being, hence any club formed after this date is known as XYZ rfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

apologies I got my dates mixed up fa was set up in 1863 but arguments over allowing handling and hacking in football resulted in establishment of rugby football union in 1871, so any club formed after this split is a RFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Clontarf is another club that is just a FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Garryowen too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Not to mention the oldest club in the country, or is it the world? Dublin University Football Club.

BTW I think it's Kilgobbin that the Lansdowne kids play in. Though I believe that ground has been sold as well.

They'll be merging with Co Carlow at the rate they're going.

Not to mention the oldest club in the country, or is it the world? Dublin University Football Club.

BTW I think it's Kilgobbin that the Lansdowne kids play in. Though I believe that ground has been sold as well.

They'll be merging with Co Carlow at the rate they're going.

DUFCs position as oldest club in world is a contested one, i cant think of other clubs name off hand but it was an english club possibly a uni, but they formed prior to trinity but club ceased for a year or two and then reformed so technically trinity is oldest club in continued existance but other club is older.

kilgobbin has been sold but my mate plays in club and they are sharing a ground with wesley in kiltiernan not kilgobbin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Llambed

When was DUFC formed? I saw that book you reffered to recently at a book sale in college a few weeks back and thumbed through it.Didnt have the cash on me to buy it but will keep an eye out for another copy. It did look interesting.

• Advertisement

DUFC was formed in 1854, the other club founded before that as mentioned above is guys hospital.

edmund von esbecks irish rugby 1874-1999 is another good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Llambed

Thanks for that. The thing I liked about the book you first mention was that it dealt with more sports than rugby really.
    Thanks though.

Advertisement