Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen C5

Options
  • 08-05-2007 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi quick question my C5 1.8petrol is using i think a lot of oil,I put a litre in about 3 weeks ago and again yesterday.Is that a lot i dont see any leak or blue smoke coming out of it.I have started a lot of town driving so MPG has gone down a lot getting about 27mpg now used to get 36 on the clock.Also does the air filter make you burn more fuel i lookied at it is a bit dirty but service isnt due for another 7K.Would it be worth buying one in halfords anyway and poping it in.One last thing i filled up brake fluid 3 weeks ago and its used about an inch of it now the pads are fine had them checked just wondering why it would go from full line to half way down to empty.

Sorry so long but any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Check, or have someone else check, for leaks - around sump plug, around sump, around oil filter, around camshaft cover. If its disappearing, and not out of these places, you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Ok thanks for that i will try to get someone today to look any other views would be good on air filter and break fluid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Check your engine seals haven't dissolved. Secondly check for blue smoke from your exhaust.

When was the last time you changed the oil?

It was changed 7000 miles ago i just figger out where it is going to i dont see blue smoke or any leaks or patches on the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If its fuel consumption, then air filter and tyre pressures could be to blame. Have you ruled out the possibility that when the oil was last changed, it wasn't refilled fully? Then you put in 1 litre and dipped it too soon, so got a false "full" reading? Just asking...

• Advertisement

I got the oil changed today no leaks to be seen anywhere.Also decided to change spark plugs while i was there and on 3rd plug found oil on the threads of it.I rang local dealer where i bought the car and they told me a seal was gone huge job would be about 700-800 euro.FFS I then rang a friend of family who has small garage he confirmed yes a seal was prob gone but would be about 250 to change.He also said it could be rocker cover "i think" or some cover that may just need a tighten time will tell.Going to do air filter tomorrow would a dirty air filter cause it to use more fuel.

Advertisement