Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heater blower is intermittent on E46 320d

Options
  • 08-05-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

the heater blower stopped working while driving along during the weekend, the air con button lights up green when I turn the fan dial on, but no air comes out the vents,
    Then out of the blue it, it starts up again, but next time i'm in the car is stopped again, very erratic. I’ve been reading about a resistor that needs to be replaced, but it’s a bitch to get to, under the drivers steering column. Before I go routing at wires and pulling off panels, anyone got any other suggestions other than resister.

Just for a bit of history, the fan was very erratic a few years ago and the dealer (under warranty) said he replaced the resistor, so does this part go a lot or is it something else?

Any advice (especially ned78) would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you in Dublin? If so, you could give Hamiltons auto electricians in D8 a call, i've found them to be good and not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This happened me a few years ago on another car. The resistor's werent actually resistors and just coils of wire of different thickness (Did the job in theory) except they didnt last.

So off to Maplin I went a got some proper resistors and soldered them. Maybe something like this may solve the problem, although I don't know if BMW use actual resistors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

JohnCleary wrote:

thanks John, the resistor is the same as the e46 3 series, but the instructions are for a LHD car and probably 5 series or e36 ( i was looking at that thread this morning myself!, but cheers anyway:) )

the BMW forums are saying it probably is the resistor, but i was just wondering if anyone on boards had a simular problem with the E46 or E39/E36

ronoc, you need to register to view. takes about 5mins.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote:
    Can't view it without a login!

So register :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

We had that exact problem with a '01 E39. Bought the part from Duffy's,who wantyed €100 labour and I fitted it in 10 minutes !

On the E39 it is located on the drivers side, just above and inward of your left foot rest/clutch pedal. I took down the cover and removed the plug connector. As far as I can recall there was some twisting involved to get it out as its quite tight in there, but deffo a DIY job !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

just rang the "stealer" and they have plenty in stock (i wonder why!:rolleyes: )

its 85 ish euro inc vat. and i tried otto first, only available with BMW so they tell me.

So i'll give it a go over the weekend, skinned knuckles/broken back here we come:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement