Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Creaking Sounds from Rear of Car

Options
  • 08-05-2007 1:44pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea what this could be? Basically at slow speeds there is a lot of creaking and squeaking coming from the rear of my car. At first I thought it was something in the boot or the spare tire but I've ruled these out. Seems to be from the suspension. It's a 320D. Anyone seen anything like this before? Would like to have an idea what it is before bringing it to be serviced. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

It could be a dodgy shock or wheel bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Loose exhaust? Common cause of noises from the rear of cars. If it is from the exhaust you can try and replicate it by sitting in the car while a friend grabs the tailpipe and shakes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

get the bushings looked at.. should cost around 100 quid or so to replace one set.. i believe theres 3 bushings each side on the e36 model.. i could be wrong though. It sorted the sloppiness and creaking on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

One of the common failures on a BMW e36 and e46 (3 series) is the top shock mounting breaking up. They are about €20 and are easy enough to fit if you are any way handy at the cars. Is the creaking or knocking coming from just behind the rear seat? Or does it sound like it's coming from lower down? Get someone to sit in the back and listen to see if they can detect where the noise is coming from exactly.
    EDIT: your car is an e46 most likely as there was never an e36 320D
    (All BMWs have an "e" number, the current 3 series is an e90)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

One of the common failures on a BMW e36 and e46 (3 series) is the top shock mounting breaking up. They are about €20 and are easy enough to fit if you are any way handy at the cars. Is the creaking or knocking coming from just behind the rear seat? Or does it sound like it's coming from lower down? Get someone to sit in the back and listen to see if they can detect where the noise is coming from exactly.
    EDIT: your car is an e46 most likely as there was never an e36 320D
    (All BMWs have an "e" number, the current 3 series is an e90)
    Yes, mine is the e46 (2002) 320D SE model. It sounds like it's coming from just behind the rear seats. If I bounce the rear up and down from the boot it definitely sounds like it's coming from the wheel area which is why I thought it was the suspension. From inside there's more of a creaking sounds but from bouncing the rear from the boot I can hear more of a squeak along with the creaking. It's driving me nuts :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm still around 7,000 miles from the next Oil Service (according to the car). Do you think it would be worth bringing it for a service to BMW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

get the bushings looked at.

This is most likely the problem. They may need replacing or it could be down to the very warm weather. Get them checked to see. I have seen this happen to a few cars during warm periods, if the bushings arent gone they probably have just dried out and are squeaking. I think there is a spray available but I not sure, be careful as some sprays may cause the bushing to corrode. Or you could drive into a lake and give them a soak!

Advertisement