Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bjork - Volta

Options
  • 08-05-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

3 words, Fan Bloody Tastic! :D

Having been a sort of casual bjork listener over the years, i always had an admiration for her unique style and voice, but TBH i could never really fully get into her albums...tended to find myself switching off half way through.

managesd to get my hands on a copy of her new one though, and i have to say its excellent.
    hardcore Bjork fans may find it a little too dancy and light in comparison to some of her older work, but it really worked for me.

the first track, and new single, earth intruders has a pounding beat that almost made me feel like marching around the house millitary style, and i can see it going down very very well in the clubs.
    The album carrys on in this vein, albeit slowing down for a couple of tracks around the middle.
    its unmistakeably Bjork though, easy to dip in and out of, but its only when you sit down and actually listen to it you hear the darker edges that hover around her lyrics and music.
    Bjork has won herself a new fully fledged fan in me, im gonna go and dig out all her past work and give it a proper go :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Hugely disappointing. It felt like a b-sides compliation from previous albums. I really was expecting a lot more than what was offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

damien.m wrote:
    Hugely disappointing. It felt like a b-sides compliation from previous albums. I really was expecting a lot more than what was offered.

as i thought bjork fans may be dissapointed, but i honestly liked it.
    that may change as i go back and listen to her ealrier albums a little more seriously, but i enjoyed it over the last day or two.
    And i reckon it will grow on you too!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eirebear wrote:
    And i reckon it will grow on you too!:cool:

I got an advanced copy. It has not grown on me over the weeks, it is not even on my playlists now.

damien.m wrote:
    I got an advanced copy. It has not grown on me over the weeks, it is not even on my playlists now.
    fair enough then...maybe it wont! :D
    i like it and thats that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Wouldn't say it's hugely disappointing, but it certainly does seem to sparkle a bit less than you'd expect from her.. A lot of it just seems to drift by in a kind of pleasant but unmemorable haze. The squiggly keyboards on Earth Intruders, Innocence etc. feel like a hangup from the rave scene. Wanderlust is for me the one song that so far feels like a Bjork classic (and possibly Declare Independence, though that one seems to polarize people's opinions).. Not too keen on the Anthony Hegarty contributions. I'd currently put it in the same box as Medulla, with a handful of keepers and some stuff that might grow in time.. (though Medulla felt more fresh in terms of ideas, and more unified as an album overall).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Same as the OP, could never really get into Bjork properly, but this album is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

very disappointing. have had two listens, don't think i will have another, it's that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only heard "Earth Intruders" and I really like it. I'm not a Bjork fan, some of her stuff is fab, some is dreadful, can't get through a whole album.

So it seems my original point was spot on, maybe a deliberate tactic on Bjork's part working with someone such as timbaland in order to make herself a little more attractive to us non-bjork fans?
    As i've said im gonna go back and listen to more of her stuff, how many others will too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I got this album myself, the first track is indeed great but Im not too sure about the whole album yet, never really listened to her before this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I bought the album and like exiot I love the first track but the rest of the album is dull, dull, dull. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Earth Intruders is a bit of a tease no?

The rest of the album hardly scales the same heights

However, nothing beats this (the video anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQB9d-MMIx0

Advertisement