Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi All

Perhaps I should be starting a new thread for this one......but seeing as the heading is fairly general, I am going to tag along

Any advice for cleaning an awning. I have one of the wind out jobs and it is looking a little rough and ready. What do you guys use to clean the awning?
    Also, the awning does not wind in properly.......it needs a gentle shove as you wind it in.....sounds like the cogs are slipping. When it has been retracted, it does not totally clip into place at the winder end. Not sure if Im giving relevant / enough details but as ever, any advice is most welcome.
    The awning is an Ominster 5002

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

malta1 - we used to have that not-entirely-winding-in-problem.

In our case it turned out that when the awning had been fully wound out once, it got rewound the wrong way (i.e. it was flipped over, think toilet paper rolls which feed off the top or off the bottom, or sideways-on winding clockwise or anti-clockwise). The fix was to fully unwind again and then continue with the winding so it flipped back the way it should be. When it was wound back in it clicked back into place.

It's a very un-nerving feeling when you are driving along with your awning not fully secured - there's a bit of a fear that the wind will catch it and you will either take off or else you will suddenly become two lanes wide.

z

Cheers for the advice Z

Will try unwind it when the weather improves......with the wind at the moment, if I try it now, I might not have an awning to worry about. Actually come to think about it, I might not have a camper to worry about either:D

Thankfully, the front end clips in properly so no real danger of it being "caught" by the wind when driving.

Now, anybody got advice on cleaning the thing??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

soapy water ...kitchen scrubber...elbow grease ...that'll fix it :D

re the awning not closing properly:
    I read somewhere that adding a layer of gaffa tape to the first winding of the side that doesn't close fully may help.
    wind up the first turn, fit around 10 cm of tape round the back and then wind fully.
    The extra thickness should help to pull it tight. (and you can always add some more / rip it off again if it doesn't work)

@ fits
    kinda looks like you will have to buy whatever you like most

• Advertisement

God your full of helpful ideas today;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Fits,

Don't know anything about the awnings you are looking at but if you could see one being erected & taken down it would help. I bought an Apache drive away awning last year from Charles Camping in Wicklow. While its a very well made awning its quite heavy & probably takes the most of an hour to erect. As a result, I use it very infrequently & only if we are staying in the one place for a few days. You often see awnings advertised in the UK camping mags with "used only once or twice". I now know why.

Hope this helps,

T.

TigerTim wrote:
    Fits,

Don't know anything about the awnings you are looking at but if you could see one being erected & taken down it would help. I bought an Apache drive away awning last year from Charles Camping in Wicklow. While its a very well made awning its quite heavy & probably takes the most of an hour to erect. As a result, I use it very infrequently & only if we are staying in the one place for a few days. You often see awnings advertised in the UK camping mags with "used only once or twice". I now know why.

Hope this helps,

T.

Thanks for the tip TigerTim.. I too feel that a cumbersome-to-erect awning would be a waste of time for us... so I'm going to look for one of the more modern designs.
    Where is Charles Camping btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Charles camping, Blessington, Co. Wicklow. Also have an online shop - just google Charles camping.

T

I bought the one on ebay. Including post it came to 175 euro.
    Will let you know how I get on with it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement