Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full NCB protection, what does it mean

Options
  • 07-05-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭

well i know what i means but in practice how does it work.

say im paying 700 quid a year fully comp with full ncb protection and i stack the car, causing it to be written off at a value of 20k for example.

will i get a similar quote on a similar car next time round, or is the premium loaded for the claim??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Cyrus wrote:

say im paying 700 quid a year fully comp with full ncb protection and i stack the car, causing it to be written off at a value of 20k for example.

will i get a similar quote on a similar car next time round, or is the premium loaded for the claim??

Ive always wanted to know the answer to this.
    Its a good question :) , I think the answer should yes your no claims will not be affected when getting insurance again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I'm with Hibernian and have taken this 'extra' for an additional charge. My understanding of it (from reading and asking over the phone) is:

It allows you to have up to two claims in any three-year period, without losing your No Claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

what ciarsd said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

far as i know some companys will only offer NCB protection when ya have 5yrs NCB or more. Quinn for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Having just renewed my policy I asked about NCB protection. I can have an unlimited claim made against me without losing my NCB. I can make one claim for up to 10 grand for damages made to my car without losing my NCB.

Not bad for 423 a year - the joys of getting old

But every policy is different so just ask your provider to clarify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Cyrus wrote:

It depends on the small print on the policy. Some insurance companies will allow you to have, for example 2 claims up to the value of €4000 in a three period without affecting your no claims bonus. Others (FBD) allow you to have an unlimited amount of claims for unlimited value and this will not affect your NCB. So basically you can have a claim and your insurance will not go up the following year. The sneaky point though is that if you do have a claim they will write it on your no claims certificate if you change company, so the new company you want to go to might reduce your no claims bonus because of this.

ciarsd wrote:
    I'm with Hibernian and have taken this 'extra' for an additional charge. My understanding of it (from reading and asking over the phone) is:

It allows you to have up to two claims in any three-year period, without losing your No Claims.

If you change insurance company at next renewal they may write on your no claims certificate that you had a claim. Becuase of this the new company might not take your no claims bonus into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

As above, if you claim the company will not load you, but if you move insurance you will not have a full ncb anymore, basically they have you for 5 more years, at whatever premium they like. Rip off if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

oleras wrote:
    As above, if you claim the company will not load you, but if you move insurance you will not have a full ncb anymore, basically they have you for 5 more years, at whatever premium they like. Rip off if you ask me.

Are you sure? Because the NCB cert normally says "NCB level" rather than "years claim free driving". I was only with HiB for one year, so they gave a cert which said something like "1 year claim free driving, ncb level 5". I assume they would do the same had I crashed 12 mths previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

maidhc wrote:
    Are you sure? Because the NCB cert normally says "NCB level" rather than "years claim free driving". I was only with HiB for one year, so they gave a cert which said something like "1 year claim free driving, ncb level 5". I assume they would do the same had I crashed 12 mths previously.

When you get a quote they ask you if you have had a claim in the last 5 years, and you would have had, so you dont have a full ncb anymore, when it is protected from the current insurer they wont penalise you but can charge whatever they like.

This is what i read into the policy and the small print, would be nice to hear a personal story from someone who made a claim under a protected policy and how much they paid the next renewal date.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    When you get a quote they ask you if you have had a claim in the last 5 years, and you would have had, so you dont have a full ncb anymore, when it is protected from the current insurer they wont penalise you but can charge whatever they like.

This is what i read into the policy and the small print, would be nice to hear a personal story from someone who made a claim under a protected policy and how much they paid the next renewal date.

I have fully protected NCB. I made one claim. When renewal came around I phoned a few other companies (and told them I had a claim). Some of them were willing to recognise my full NCB as I had fully protected NCB with my insurer while others wanted to reduce the no claims years. In the end I stayed with my original insurance company as they gave me the best quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

apparently, it can depends on the type of claims as well.

Had full NCB protection with an IE insurer (over €700 fully comp),
    Got bricked while driving the MX5,
    Looked like damage to A-pillar (predictably very expensive on these, turned out it was just bodywork after all - thank God!),
    Went to claim and chose not to in the end, because insurer told me it would affect the NCB :eek: (despite the protected NCB)

So, changed insurer straight away after fixing the car (thanks again, carcraft, sterling job! ;) )

Advertisement