Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Atheistic Commandments?

Options
  • 07-05-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

I was asked this recently by a fence sitting friend - you know the type who just cant decide which way to jump and is hoping for the rapture to come simply to make his decision for him? - regarding the 10 commandments.

Rather than labour a point on the merits of the christian commandments, or in deed the commandments of Moses he asked this;

Given the various philosophical arguments, logical thought experiments and scientific evidence in the natural world, what would be the 10 commandments of the Atheistic observation of the universe.

For example would they include things like "Thou shalt observe Occams Razor as a tentative guideline to your acceptance of all things!" ... that kind of thing.

I guess what he meant was what are the top ten reasons, arguments, thought experiments, analogies etc that re-enforce or lead to the Atheistic position.

(lets try and keep this one civil - myself included).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Public Information Notice: An atheist is one who has no belief in a God or Gods.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Zillah wrote:
    Public Information Notice: An atheist is one who has no belief in a God or Gods.

That is all.

Well ... thanks for that. But I think we are all clear enough on what an Atheist is.

The point of the thread is to (hopefully) list the best and most persuasive arguments for the Atheist position, i.e. why is there no god and why shouldn't anyone follow a religion (although that one is probably easier that the former).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well ... thanks for that. But I think we are all clear enough on what an Atheist is.

Right. So who, or what, is doing the commanding for an Atheist to have Commandments?

The point of the thread is to (hopefully) list the best and most persuasive arguments for the Atheist position, i.e. why is there no god and why shouldn't anyone follow a religion (although that one is probably easier that the former).
    The Christian 10 COmmandments are not the best argument for Christianity - rather they form the basis of a moral framework which Christianity attempts to uphold.

I'm not sure how you (or your fence-sitting friend) can think that the atheirst equivalent would be somehow based on arguments why the atheist position is compelling.

"Thou shalt not covet they neighbour's wife", for example, isn't a compelling argument why there's a Christian God. Nor is "honour they father and mother".

Why would an atheist "equivalent" be somehow different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

bonkey wrote:
    Right. So who, or what, is doing the commanding for an Atheist to have Commandments?

The Christian 10 COmmandments are not the best argument for Christianity - rather they form the basis of a moral framework which Christianity attempts to uphold.

I'm not sure how you (or your fence-sitting friend) can think that the atheirst equivalent would be somehow based on arguments why the atheist position is compelling.

"Thou shalt not covet they neighbour's wife", for example, isn't a compelling argument why there's a Christian God. Nor is "honour they father and mother".

Why would an atheist "equivalent" be somehow different?

Its not about equivalents or even the concept of "commandments". Don't get hung up on the "play on words" please.

And honestly, there is no reason to be so antagonistic. It is a simple question, what would you rate the best arguments as being?

If you cant handle that, or if the topic somehow offends you, then DONT READ IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My point being that the notion of Atheist commandments is redundant, a lack of belief in God is the only qualifier.

Commandments and arguments for a position aren't even similar so you can forgive my confusion, considering its your own fault :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hivemind187, I know what you're getting at. Though atheistic commandments if probably the wrong term.

In the absence of a creed that prescribes your commandments, if you had to sit down and write you own set... what would they be...?

It's a popular exercise, there are loads of non-religious "commandments" on the web.
    I like these humanist ones I just came across:
    First humanist rule:
    Proclaim the natural dignity and inherent equality of all human beings, in all places and in all circumstances

Second humanist rule:

Respect the life and property of others at all times.

Third humanist rule:
    Practice tolerance and open-mindedness towards the choices and life styles of others.

Fourth humanist rule:
    Share with those who are less fortunate and mutually assist those who are in need of help.

Fifth humanist rule:
    Use neither lies, nor temporal power, nor spiritual power to dominate and exploit others. Proclaim the principle of equality of opportunity for all.

Sixth humanist rule:
    Rely on reason and science to understand the Universe and to solve life's problems, avoiding superstitions, which numb the mind and are an obstacle to thinking by oneself.

Seventh humanist rule:
    Conserve and improve the Earth's natural environment —land, soil, water, air and space—as humankind's common heritage.

Eighth humanist rule:
    Resolve differences and conflicts cooperatively without resorting to violence or to wars.

Ninth humanist rule:
    Organize public affairs according to individual freedom and responsibility, through political and economic democracy.

Tenth humanist rule:
    Develop one's intelligence and talents through education and effort, in order to reach fulfillment and happiness, for the betterment of humanity and of future generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wicknights 10 Commandments for Life -

Commandment 1
    Don't live your life based on fixed finite set of commandments

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First Law:
    A god may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law:
    A god must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law:
    A god must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fourth Law:
    Will Smith must play the rogue police officer who ensures laws 1-3 are upheld.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/me uses temporal powers
    Take thatt, humanist rules!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

From the Gospel of the FSM

The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"

1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.
    2. I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.
    3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, Okay? Oh, and get this into your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey = Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.
    4. I'd really rather you didn't indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age AND mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is go f*** yourself, unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go for a walk for a change.
    5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynistic, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the b*******.
    6. I'd really rather you didn't build multi million-dollar churches/temples/mosques/shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick):
    1. Ending poverty
    2. Curing diseases
    3. Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable
    I might be a complex-carbohydrate omniscient being, but I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the creator.
    7. I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?
    8. I'd really rather you didn't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a CONDOM! honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it I would have added spikes, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hivemind187, I know what you're getting at. Though atheistic commandments if probably the wrong term.

In the absence of a creed that prescribes your commandments, if you had to sit down and write you own set... what would they be...?

It's a popular exercise, there are loads of non-religious "commandments" on the web.
    I like these humanist ones I just came across:

First humanist rule:
    Proclaim the natural dignity and inherent equality of all human beings, in all places and in all circumstances

Second humanist rule:
    Respect the life and property of others at all times.

Third humanist rule:
    Practice tolerance and open-mindedness towards the choices and life styles of others.
    they sound too complicated, the commandments should be much simpler, the first three are ok, do not covet, treat other like you would be treated etc then they go off talking about econmics and democracy??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Something like the European Charter on Human Rights will do fine for me. However even something extensive like that can leave leeway which needs to be elaborated on by a sitting panel (essentially a court). Humanity and soceity is too complex to be ruled by just 10 commandments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What if they were really long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I say we have 11, it's one more than 10...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Atheism isn't a fixed group of people, they are not held together by an organisation, such as a church. Atheists can be absolutly anyone anywhere, in any situation. Understanding this, I think it is impossible to draw up a set of rules(or suggestions or whatever) for all Atheists to adhere to.

Now, if you want, it is perfectly possible for one to draw up a list of "Commandments for me as an Atheist".

But as it was said, the only requirement of being an Atheist is to not believe in a "God". Murderers, rapists, Presidents, dogs, trees, people in a coma, people who live in caves without any outside contact, all these people/things can be Atheists although their lifestyles and morals etc are vastly different.

Atheism is not about something you are, it's about something you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

By visiting this Web site you have announced to the world that you are an atheist! This announcement is permanent and irrevocable -- our automated system has already sent notification of your godlessness to both the Library of Congress and your mother. We will mention you to the Pope the next time we see him.

Remember: as a moral atheist, you are bound by the list of Atheistic Rights & Responsibilities.

Want to ask about your new religion or read hate mail from unwilling converts?
    Visit the IAmAnAtheist Blog.

If you visited this page in error, we're sorry -- what's done is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

:D I approve the Atheist's ten humanist rules.They conform to what I try to get across.I prefer the terms naturalist, rationalist and skeptic as some atheists embrace the paranormal and such.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sounds like being baptized a Catholic :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement