Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat CI Carioca 656 (2.0 JTD)

Options
  • 07-05-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking into purchasing a CI Carioca 656 Motorhome like this one HERE

Firstly .. I'd be importing from UK .. how do I find out the weight prior to purchasing so I know what vrt will cost ?

Also has anyone any experience of this camper ? If so good or bad ?

It's on a Fiat Cab with a 2.0 litre JTD engine so I'm a little concerned that it would be underpowered. What do you think ?

Any other advise would be welcome ;)

Cheers.

395areaimage1.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The 2.0 TD (IMO) would be ok for the empty vehicle ...just.

Pack in all and everybody that needs to come along and it will struggle a bit.
    It's still powerful enough (my old 2.4 engine isn't any stronger) but you will have to drive it at full load all the time.
    Fine, if you only intend to pootle along country lanes with two people ...not so good if you need to hammer it down some French motorway with lots of people and gear and in a bit of a rush to catch the ferry.

If possible, I'd go for the bigger engine ...after all, motortax will be the same and fuel consumption won't be much higher either, as the big 2.8 (or 2.3) can be driven at more relaxed rpm's. (the 2.8 also has the added advantge of being heavier)

As for the weight ...just ask the seller to drive it over a weighing scales. Shouldn't be too much hassle and easily doable.
    Remember ...vehicle needs to be unladen. No water, no waste water no driver and only stuff that's permanently fixed to the vehicle (and the gas cylinder is debatable ...so allow a safety margin)
    I don't know the vehicle in question, but I'd suspect that it won't make the 3ton unladen hurdle ...and if you have to add VRT to the purchase price it will get so expensive that you will most like find something better locally for cheaper money.

PS: I don't think that the vehicle in the ad is a particular bargain either. If you could live with LHD, there are much cheaper ones available;

Like THIS or This for example.

Don't know if they have the same floorplan, though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

peasant wrote:
    I don't know the vehicle in question, but I'd suspect that it won't make the 3ton unladen hurdle ...and if you have to add VRT to the purchase price it will get so expensive that you will most like find something better locally for cheaper money.
    That link I provided was just an example .. the one I'm actually looking at is closer to GB£20k and is 2006. I've also just been told it is in fact a 2.3 not a 2.0. So assuming I had to pay vrt, how much would that be approx and would it still be bad value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The 2.3 is supposed to be a fab and really durable engine, definetly the one to go for.

As for VRT ...write down a few four-figure numbers, close your eyes and pick one :D

Or alternatively, ring your local revenue office and ask the VRT people ...I've heard rumours that they have something resembling a "list" down in Rosslare, so they should be able to quote you a figure that will still stand on the day when you bring it over to register.

As it's 2006, be careful it's over 6 months and 6000 kms "old" or you will get caught for VAT as well.

Is it good value? The 20 k sterling sounds good ...the rest is in the hands of the VRT people.

Have you actually seen the vehicle?
    CI is a middle of the road manufacturer and they churn out a fair number of campers under all sorts of names (and brands) per year.
    Their quality is ok, but not outstanding.

But if it "feels" right for you, it could possibly be good value.

Advertisement