Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value an A8

Options
  • 07-05-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying my brother's Audi A8. It's a 99 4.2 40v quattro, in silver with black leather, 57k, just had cambelt service. The car is a UK import with FSH, it was HPI checked prior to purchase. It's in truly excellent condition, and appears to be fully loaded, ie rear side airbags, rear electrically adjustable & heated seats etc. What would a fair price be for this car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

fekkin hell ...........:D

id take it. but filing it up ?!

id say 17 grand, just an estimate?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

have u had a look at carzone?

A same year a8 quattro is 9k, admittingly though its a trade sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A fair price to your brother probably would be in and around 15 k, after all it seems to be a fab car with really low mileage.

A fair price to you on the other hand would be next to nothing ...because that's what its "worth" on resale here.

Whoever can afford the running cost and repair bills of such a car, doesn't stoop so "low" as to buy a 99, so there is virtually no market for this (or any other older, big engined luxury car)

Be prepared to have to drive it forever, do your sums, offer what you can reasonably afford ...and then never to speak to your brother again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its your brother so be as mean as possible! Difficult one this as you don;'t want to rip your brother off, but the car will be unsellable as anything more then a giveaway price when you want to get rid of it. The market for such cars will only get smaller as fuel prices creep up.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hmm, this is a difficult situation. First, were you thinking of changing your car? Then ask yourself is an Audi A8 of this year a car you'd want to buy if your brother wasn't selling it? After that, check carzone and autotrader and maybe even the revenue's website (the VRT - calculater one? https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT) to establish a market value for the vehicle. Then tweak that so that you're getting a fair price and your brother is too!

I was offered a similar "good deal" when my father changed cars, but the car he offered me wasn't one I would have bought, so despite an initial temptation period I recognised that I didn't want it despite the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the lads said, especially Peasant. Total buyers market

This might help - a bit. I bought my '96 BMW 735 3 years ago. Same sellers (directors of a small company) had just sold an '96 S320. The other car still for sale was a '96 A8 4.2 quattro. All three were UK imports, in great condition and fully loaded with full manufacturer's service history. The Audi and the BMW had a quite realistic (both late '96, so about 7.5 years old at the time) asking price of €12.5k. The BMW had 110k miles, the Audi 150k miles. I got the BMW for €11k and I'm confident I could have had the Audi for the same. I could have chanced it and offered a lot less but I was quite keen to get it :D

Now your brother's car is the same age / condition as the one I looked at 3 years ago, but obviously the mileage is much lower. If your brother has to sell his car sharpish, offer him a realistic €12k-€14k.

Mind, if he put it in carzone.ie for €20k, who knows, there might be someone around paying that for it. If he has time / patience, he should not sell to you. He should put it up for sale and see if someone will bite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why don't you go the whole hog and buy an S8? I did and it was well worth it, there's a big difference on spec. of which they both have. The A/S8 is actually lighter than a five series BMW and they're pretty good on fuel too for this class of car, i'd highly recommend one. I'd say your one is worth 10k sterling plus VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah the A8/S8 uses an all alluminium space frame making it much lighter than other cars of it's size.

A little OT but Junkyard, your one looks awfully similar to the one used in the movie Ronin. Incredible sound from that V8 chasing a Citroen XM through a European city's narrow streets in that movie. :cool:

junkyard wrote:
    The A/S8 is actually lighter than a five series BMW

Don't believe those brochures done up by clever marketing people. They tend to lie ;)

The weight difference between a '99 4.2 quattro A8 (or same weight S8) and a same year BMW 740 4.4 is just 4%. The Audis weigh 20% more than a same year again 528. Even an M5 is lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I've wanted that car ever since he got it, the only real downside for me is the sheer size of it. We're pretty close, so I really do want to pay him whatever the car's worth. He's saying 12k, i'm thinking 14 would be fairer.

Junkyard - Given the option, I probably would go for an S8. That said, the standard car has over 300bhp, anything requiring more than that is probably something I shouldn't really be doing in the first place. His has a very complete specification, ie TV, sat nav, xenons, solar sunroof, bose upgrade, nappa leather, phone kit, 8 airbags, rear powered & heated seats, 18" alloys (a bad thing in my book) I can hardly imagine an S8 would have any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I recently valued a 99 A8 4.2 Quattro as a Part Exchange, and I was getting 8k form the Motor Trade for it, so I had a P/Ex allowance of about 11k. We felt the car was great, but things like the SatNav - it's no longer possible to get maps for that, etc.

Between 10-12k should be the money for it Anan1.

Anan1 wrote:
    He's saying 12k, i'm thinking 14 would be fairer

So I'm sure you'll split the difference? ;)

May I be the first here to congratulate you with your new car. Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say go for it Anan1 you won't be disappointed, I love mine and I don't think I'll ever part with it. It looks like I missed out on all the "Ferrari" fun this evening.:( :D

Thanks to all, i'll be taking it for a day later on in the week so should have an update then!

Finally got the car this morning. As you can probably all imagine, i'm hooked.:)

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Photos Anan, Photos!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ned78 wrote:
    Photos Anan, Photos!! :D

Seconded: Anan get some photo's up for us!!!!

How do I post pics again? I have a couple, but they're over 2MB each.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote:
    How do I post pics again? I have a couple, but they're over 2MB each.

You can host them elsewhere like imageshack.us, or if you want, I can resize them if you want to email them to me.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    You can host them elsewhere like imageshack.us, or if you want, I can resize them if you want to email them to me.
    That sounds like the easiest way (for me;) ), if you're ok with that?

Here are a couple of pics, thanks to eoin! I wasn't feeling particularly artistic today, but you get the general idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks better in a dark colour! ;):p

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Looks better in a dark colour! ;):p

Mike.
    I'd be inclined to agree, although some of the "mid" colours look even better than the dark ones. That said, I really couldn't care less what the thing looks like.;)

Advertisement