Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on foreign car.

Options
  • 06-05-2007 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I got intresting idea.

I'm a Finnish citisen working temporarily in Ireland. As it seems, UK cars are cheaper than the ones in Irish markets. With certain restrictions I can drive foreign registered car in Ireland. So, my idea is to buy a car from UK, bring it over for the time I need it here.

The problem is that I need it to be insured and, to avoid VRT, it needs to be registered in UK.

Can I insure the UK registered car with Irish insurance companies? Or can I insure it with UK companies even I dont have address there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Quinn Direct will insure a UK car to an Irish registered address for as long as you like. The problem may arise regarding english motor tax , how do you pay that plus if a garda stops you, you would have an irish road act insurance disc in a uk car , which is highly suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I was under the impression that it can't be legally done, although there are lots of people that do it.

Quinn direct aren't gonna turn away your money, but it doesn't mean you have insurance. In fact I'd almost guarantee they won't give you any money in the event of a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Its against the law to do this , and they can (and will) take your car if you do...

pay the vrt like the rest of us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

tvr wrote:
    Quinn Direct will insure a UK car to an Irish registered address for as long as you like. The problem may arise regarding english motor tax , how do you pay that plus if a garda stops you, you would have an irish road act insurance disc in a uk car , which is highly suspect.
    Surely they can take your money full in the knowledge you aren't covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote:
    Surely they can take your money full in the knowledge you aren't covered?

Why not , its a win-win for them.... thats why life insurance compaines only contact your doctor when you try to claim....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Never thought of it like that.

Advertisement