Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Francis on Setanta Last Night

Options
  • 05-05-2007 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

did anyone else hear what he said about the Connacht team last night on Setanta:

roughly - "turn up get hammered, have a laugh, go to the pub"

and again later he mentioned going to the pub again again.

Now Earlier on he had been asked would a province of Connacht benefit from a cash injection similar to Sunderland and he replied that it wouldnt matter because Connacht haemorrhage money that they dont have the facilities etc as the Sportsgrounds are merely a dog track.

now i dont mind the comments about Connacht not utilising their money, that is plain to see but aren't the comments about the players going on the lash a bit harsh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Neil Francis is a spanner. Anyone remember his comments during the Frankie Sheahan, inhaler episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

Neil Francis was a crap player and he's a crap pundit. I find myself disagreeing with absolutely everything he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

IMO he's the best rugby commentator out there. His contribution alone is worth the price of the Sunday Tribune every week; analysis, speaking from real experience, doesnt follow the media 'groupthink', and funny to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

i suppose at the end of the day people have different opinions. I think i am biased against him because i thought he was a rubbish player and never even should have played for Ireland. I think even if he said something i agreed with i would say 'Bull****!' god i'm a stubborn bastard

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What Neil Francis knows about rugby you could almost fit on a stamp. How he has forged a career as a rugby journalist (or international rugby player come to think of it) I just don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I actually think his analysis is usually spot on and he has a knack of calling the way the big games are going to go just right. Yes, he can be a bit personal when it comes to slagging off the guys he doesn't like (Simon Best being the most obvious of the current crop).

As for the Frankie Sheahan affair: just answer these two questions if you can (I can't)

1) What percentage of the Irish public as a whole suffer from asthma?

2) What percentage of the Irish national rugby squad use Ventolin inhalers on prescription?

I don't know what the current proportions are but at the time of the Frankie episode, I seem to rememeber that there was a striking discrepancy.

Dangerous stuff Ventolin. Nobody should use it. Especially not asthmatics .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I actually think his analysis is usually spot on and he has a knack of calling the way the big games are going to go just right. Yes, he can be a bit personal when it comes to slagging off the guys he doesn't like (Simon Best being the most obvious of the current crop).

As for the Frankie Sheahan affair: just answer these two questions if you can (I can't)

1) What percentage of the Irish public as a whole suffer from asthma?

2) What percentage of the Irish national rugby squad use Ventolin inhalers on prescription?

I don't know what the current proportions are but at the time of the Frankie episode, I seem to rememeber that there was a striking discrepancy.

Dangerous stuff Ventolin. Nobody should use it. Especially not asthmatics .

His comments were outragous at the time and he is still a biased useless rugby pundit. You also seem to be insinuating that the Irish rugby squad are drug cheats. Open to correction here I but I believe that there are about 450,000 suffers in Ireland I and I know of 3 (*edit*4)squad players who have inhalers, which is about 1/10 in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

You can't take statistics from a large sample of people (population of Ireland) and apply them to a small number (a rugby team). It is utter nonsense to do so.

As for Francis :rolleyes: I wouldn't waste bandwidth discussing him. I avoid any form of media that rolls him out as their rugby "expert".

Advertisement