Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Recommendation Please

Options
  • 05-05-2007 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Basically my PC is ancient and the time has come for me after much thought to get a laptop, im looking at getting one with at least 2GB memory and at least 160GB HD and must be DVD Compatible (and be able to burn DVD's/CD's,etc)im planning on starting to DJ on the laptop as well so it has to be a fairly good one, is it possible for me to pick up one like this for under a grand as my finances are limited, looking at getting one maybe in about 6 weeks or so,Dell seem to do some good deals but any other recommendations from some Laptop experts on here would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

With a spec like that I'm not sure if you have a hope in hell for under a grand!! Probably looking at a high end machine there starting at around 1,300. Maybe you could pick up a refurbished machine for under a grand. And 160GB is looking like the general max that is available out there at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have alook at ALDI's offer this week. Also you could get a 500gig external hard drive to store all your stuff. Ther's on on QVC all day today for 150euros approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=N4XENT03&l=en&oc=N05157&rbc=N05157&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsftdppnotebook3

Try that one...it has 2GB Ram and 120GB HDD, just increase the warranty to one year at home service and get yourself a laptop case somewhere else as dell prices are rediculous....my 2 cents worth anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

majiktripp wrote:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=N4XENT03&l=en&oc=N05157&rbc=N05157&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsftdppnotebook3

Try that one...it has 2GB Ram and 120GB HDD, just increase the warranty to one year at home service and get yourself a laptop case somewhere else as dell prices are rediculous....my 2 cents worth anyways...

looks like a good deal cheers :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

ViDuchie wrote:
    With a spec like that I'm not sure if you have a hope in hell for under a grand!! Probably looking at a high end machine there starting at around 1,300. Maybe you could pick up a refurbished machine for under a grand. And 160GB is looking like the general max that is available out there at the mo.

On the subject of refurbished machines, what are peoples opinions on them are they reliable,etc,etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I have no problem buying refurb stuff but sometimes they may not be technically refurbs they may be returns (which are better still) - someone ordered certain spec and got something else or machines had a small scratch or blemish on the casing - some over-zealous IT freaks will return stuff for the smallest thing - especially if they work for big companies I've bought several PC's laptops and iPods and never had any issues - also with the likes of Dell you'll still get the same warranty coverage as a new machine

Advertisement