Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine letter- license plate wrong

Options
  • 04-05-2007 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

You may remember I posted last week about my speeding fine, I was caught doing 70km in a 50km by a garda speed trap. He just took my license details and registration and I received the letter this week €80 fine, 2 penalty points etc, but my license plate registration on the letter is off by 1 digit. eg. 99-D-XXXX8 when it should read 99-D-XXXX2. I haven't paid the fine yet anyway have another few weeks.

I remember a thread on a similar issue was posted here recently, wondering if someone could link me to it, search facility isn't showing any results. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Or like anyone know if I can get this thrown out of court? Should I ring a solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just pay the fine. €80 isnt much considering you broke the law

Sigh.. ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Just pay the fine. €80 isnt much considering you broke the law
    What a numpty, you gotta love numpty`s like that.The politically correct brigade of numpty`s.

It might get thrown out of court, as long as you dont go telling the garda that issued it that he made a mistake and he corrects it.

Thank you Nuttzy, gonna call a solicitor on Tuesday anyway.

I wouldn't even mind chancing my arm by taking this to court to avoid the penalty points/fine but I'd love to hear about similar cases that have happened in the past and how they were resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I was the person who posted a thread about the mistake in a speeding fine that I recently got........

The Update on it was that having gone to the Post office to pay the fine, it was refused as the post office didnt have a visa machine and the name on the fine didnt match the name on the computer. I phoned the garda helpline and I was told to post the payment to them. I then received a receipt and thats the end of it. I suppose you could go to court over the digit seeing as you werent driving the car with the reg number on your speeding fine. Its up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

interesting

it all depends on you really
    1. have you penalty points at the moment, if yes see below, if no payup
    2. do you think youl will get more soon if yes go see below, if no pay up

pay the fine and get your two penalty points. end of story. a lot of the insurance companies don't take into account the first 2 penalty points

You could wait for the court date and tell the judge that that is not the registration of the car you were driving. the judge could do two things

1. strike it out on a technicialty

2. ask you into the box and under oath< i've seen this happen> ask you to prove this wasn't your reg. Show him real proof of the car you were driving i.e. vehicle registration form.

He may ask you were you driving at that location at that date, again tell the truth and aswer yes because you were.

He may ask you were you speeding as above. Remember you are under oath so tell the truth, if you don't remember the say you don't remember.

The judge may impose a fine but i can't see him imposing the points

at the end of the day you can walk out of the court with your head held high all because you told the truth, and if u win u win and if u lose u lose

hope you understand this it took me ages to get from my head to screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

As above, but you could try that and find that when the garda get HIS copy of the summons back with the court dat and goes to look up the reg and your details will inevitably find the mistake on the summons and have it corrected and youd be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

As above, but you could try that and find that when the garda get HIS copy of the summons back with the court dat and goes to look up the reg and your details will inevitably find the mistake on the summons and have it corrected and youd be screwed.

You presume Gardai are intelligent. You forget that they undergo a lobotomy in Templemore before graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

testicle wrote:
    You presume Gardai are intelligent. You forget that they undergo a lobotomy in Templemore before graduation.
    Not a circumcision, though. Why? Because you have to be a total pr!ck to be a Garda! Dudum tish!

[ Garda boardsies please note - this is a joke! :D Remember those? ]

OP: It's a gamble - if you lose, you probably will end up with a higher fine and more points. I would think if you are going to contest it, engage the solicitor.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Ask a solicitor - it's too big a gamble to be going on hearsay. If you win let us know. I could see a 6 accidently becoming a 9......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

looks like a cock up on their behalf...I'd be inclined to tell them they got the wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Answer: Depends on the Judge on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Can I just add this, in order for speeding ticket to go to court and you get double the points an awful lot has to happen.
    The system is geared towards you just paying up and taking your points. It takes an awful lot of things to happen for you to get the summons, it takes even more to happen for you to end up in court with the right guard.
    Remember the system is geared towards you just paying up.
    Its always a gamble I admit, but the odds are stacked in your favour.
    and so far I'm beating the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What reg is on the original docket (copy) from the time of the offence?

The first time I was caught the cop said to me something along the lines of "is that all correct?" as he was handing me my copy, "because if it's not, it's all null and void". Unfortunately, it was all correct (I would have said yes anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I know the OP, he didnt get any ticket/docket from the garda at the scene, just a letter in the post. Id let it go to court aswell, I heard half the cases dont even make it to court because of some loophole - is that closed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nuttzy wrote:
    What a numpty, you gotta love numpty`s like that.The politically correct brigade of numpty`s.

What I love more are the numpties who post that reply when the OP wasn't speeding at all and mistakingly got points that should have went to someone else. :) I think there are a few examples of it on threads gone by.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Stark wrote:
    What I love more are the numpties who post that reply when the OP wasn't speeding at all and mistakingly got points that should have went to someone else. :) I think there are a few examples of it on threads gone by.
    Yup, ive seen that too, the numpties probably dont even drive :D

Could the person who typed the letter just have keyed in the license plate number wrong? Or would the gard at the scene have taken it down wrong, would they have a picture of my car, anyone know? It was a tripod camera thing.

The gard didn't hand me anything there and then, or ask to verify any details. Another thing, my address on the letter is wrong, it should say "Dublin 18" but it just says "Dublin". Another reason to contest it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

dublin instead of dublin 18 wont make a difference.

You no longer get anything handed to you if you getting a ticket. its all sent out in the post. no actual tickets are issued there and then anymore.

The speed gun most used doesnt have a camera so most likely no picture if it was a roadside radar gun job.

The correct details will be on the computer system anyway so more then likely it will be corrected once its looked up on PULSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If you go to court, you most likely won't get a word in. The judge may just shout at you and not listen to what you have to say. Go into court some day when they have traffic offenses to deal with and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Yeah - god forbid that you waste his valuable golfing time trying to fight your corner. The egotistical, fat-arsed, over-paid **** act like every case they have to hear is a personal affront to their god-like self.

Advertisement