Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Service History

Options
  • 04-05-2007 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey guys,
    I imported a car from the UK recently and it has a full Toyota service history. Its overdue its 6 year service now so i'm debating with myself whether to keep the full service history and go to a Toyota dealer or to go to a cheap backstreet mechanic.
    The car isn't too common over here, its a '01 Yaris T-sport, so that may bring service costs up. Do ye think it'd be worth sticking with the full service history for when i eventually sell? Is it worth the presumably extra cost?

If i was to go Toyota, do you guys recommend any particular dealer in the Dublin area?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

service costs on a T Sport aren't any higher than on a normal 1.0 or 1.3. only if you need tyres, shocks or an exhaust do the costs go up. Toyota servicing is generally cheap compared to European cars, as wear and tear components need changing less. Toyota service usually includes a wash and hoover too,
    T Sport Yaris aren't a great seller at the best of times (I've only ever sold one new one) so a Toyota service history won't add a great deal to the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota servicing is generally cheap compared to European cars, as wear and tear components need changing less.
    True
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota service usually includes a wash and hoover too,
    Untrue!!! had the pleasure this week, no frills

ninty9er wrote:
    Untrue!!! had the pleasure this week, no frills

What part of the country did you get it serviced?

colm_mcm wrote:
    What part of the country did you get it serviced?

Limerick...there were queues of cars still going in for service at 4:30 whe I collected...It's a workshop only place though. I wouldn't say they have a hose there at all ;);)

Brian Gearys? I'd expect O'Maras to be giving silver service!

• Advertisement

No it was O'Mara's but service is still based behind the old showroom. It was fairly clean going in anyway...only washed at the weekend.

Can't fault it though. told me what I needed done and were friendly about it. Mam bought her car there and service wasn't faultable

I expect they'll be back to standard. The foreman told me service is moving to the new location in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota servicing is generally cheap compared to European cars, as wear and tear components need changing less.

Lies, damn lies. Toyota have low enough service intervals, and from my experience eat though normal stuff like brake pads and bushings just as rapidly as anything else.

They have 15,000km intervals, which extend the life of wear and tear items as they can be changed further down the line as opposed to at that time.
    I know of Renault dealers who change half the car at services, they say that as they will not see you for 30,000 kms so they have to change them.

Toyotas are known for low maintainance costs.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyotas are known for low maintainance costs.

We have had toyotas in the family since 1987, and maintenance costs have never been particularly low. They haven't been astronomical either, but certainly nothing to brag about.

Parts for Fords are significantly cheaper, and seem to last the course just as well. Labour in the ford garages also seems lower. I must say though that customer service, and the quality of the work in the toyota garages is better. Ford dealers have a certain aura of cluelessness.

try driving a German, French, or Italian car, then compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    No it was O'Mara's but service is still based behind the old showroom. It was fairly clean going in anyway...only washed at the weekend.

Can't fault it though. told me what I needed done and were friendly about it. Mam bought her car there and service wasn't faultable

I expect they'll be back to standard. The foreman told me service is moving to the new location in 3 weeks.

About time too, their new showroom is only a 5 min drive for me but their service centre is about 20 - 25 min drive across the other side of town in heavy traffic. Too much hassel in the end so brings it to a local mechanic instead. Used to find their servicing prices very reasonable but last time I asked their prices shot up. Must be looking for their customers to pay for the new showroom. Interestingly I see Honda are building one right next to them.

never makes sense to have sales and service seperate. nice to keep in touch with old customers when they're in for service.

maidhc wrote:
    Lies, damn lies. Toyota have low enough service intervals, and from my experience eat though normal stuff like brake pads and bushings just as rapidly as anything else.

I would have to disagree on this. I got almost 100k miles out of the original brake pads on my car before needing them changed. Now with almost 140k miles the car hasn't had any bushing or other suspension bits replaced yet. Ownership has been relatively painless for me and my wallet but it probably all depends on the driver and the roads too.

colm_mcm wrote:
    never makes sense to have sales and service seperate. nice to keep in touch with old customers when they're in for service.

And try and talk them into trading up to a new motor.. :D

bazz26 wrote:
    And try and talk them into trading up to a new motor.. :D

now that's very cynical altogether.

bazz26 wrote:
    I would have to disagree on this. I got almost 100k miles out of the original brake pads on my car before needing them changed. Now with almost 140k miles the car hasn't had any bushing or other suspension bits replaced yet. Ownership has been relatively painless for me and my wallet but it probably all depends on the driver and the roads too.

Our Avensis at 100k has had more suspension work than a mondeo at 190k! Pot luck I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or pot holes?

Advertisement