Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising fuel prices

Options
  • 04-05-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice the sharp increase in the cost of petrol this week. 117.9c per litre is a total joke. FFS, insurance is a rip off, tax is too, and now the fuel is gone the same way. Typical govt, saddling the motorist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

Yeah I've noticed it myself in the last couple of weeks - there hasn't been much media coverage about this (AFAIK) and no one from the industry has spoken about the justification of it either (i.e. rise in price of barrells of oil etc...).

I think I paid 112c for petrol on Monday on the finglas road, dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

117? Yikes, Tescos here are at a giddy 1.08 which is up slightly in a week.

Quite why prices are creeping up is a mystery to me, the euro/dollar rate is at about 1.35/1.36 and steady to boot. There is no political flashpoint drama anywhere and the weather is warm. So where's the pressure coming from?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Danno wrote:
    Typical govt, saddling the motorist.

Erm, what's the government got to do with the price of petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Yeh I thought that was strange alrite... they seemed to go up without much notice. My Dad just pointed it out to me today.

I think this affects people more than most election issues. Transport should be number one on the election agenda really. This is where people notice a difference right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There is many issues that push up the price of petrol/diesel and home heating oil. I suggest looking at this, it will explain a little more in depth how the prices can and do rise and why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_price_increases_of_2004-2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

Hamndegger wrote:
    There is many issues that push up the price of petrol/diesel and home heating oil. I suggest looking at this, it will explain a little more in depth how the prices can and do rise and why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_price_increases_of_2004-2006

I would take eveything you read on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt. most stuff isn't accurate. Seen an interview with the co-founder last week and he stated that in excess of 70% of the "facts" are inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

All joking aside didn't the price rise quickly before the last bank holiday too?

hmmmm.......

hermit wrote:
    I would take eveything you read on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt. most stuff isn't accurate. Seen an interview with the co-founder last week and he stated that in excess of 70% of the "facts" are inaccurate

I didn't ask for you to accept it as absolute fact; it is merely an explanation of the many issues that see fuel prices rise and fall, many of which are not apparant to the average motorist. Do feel free to post up a more "accurate" site that you may know of on this subject, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On a jaunt to Paris last week I noticed most filling stations were selling Unleaded (Sans Plomb) at between €1.34 and €1.48 per litre !!!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

demand and supply, there are alot of refinery outages in the US at the moment so they end up importing more refined product from the EU. If the US has a bad hurricane season this year there could be another 20c ltr.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

AlekSmart wrote:
    On a jaunt to Paris last week I noticed most filling stations were selling Unleaded (Sans Plomb) at between €1.34 and €1.48 per litre !!!! :eek:

Ah, sure we can do better than that.... how about the Statoil on Ushers Quay at a staggering 1.51 !!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well, the Govt should cut some of the tax on it - the yanks have it sooo cheap compared to here. Why is there not alternative fuels. i.e. when coal is too dear I but a load of sticks or turf etc...

Danno wrote:
    Well, the Govt should cut some of the tax on it - the yanks have it sooo cheap compared to here. Why is there not alternative fuels. i.e. when coal is too dear I but a load of sticks or turf etc...

Try not using as much fuel if the price is an issue to you; get LPG or Bio fuel or diesel or a hybrid car or use a bike/public transport/walk if you can. Our fuel taxes are far cheaper than most of the EU; it is no co-incidence that in the border counties, queues are the norm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

AlekSmart wrote:

Was getting diesel in north France (not at motorway services) for €1.13 - €1.17 1 - 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

First rule of driving in France. Avoid the motorway service stations for fuel(at all costs). Refill at supermarket/hypermarkets and save at least 20c/lt

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Hamndegger wrote:
    Our fuel taxes are far cheaper than most of the EU

Yes, but we get hit with massive VRT, Insurance and Road Tax bills compared to the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I too am hoffified at the price of petrol recently.

We are being fleeced.

The movement in the €/US$ exchange rates are not favouring us at all even though there has been over 10% fall in the value of the dollar and oil is priced in dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yep was watching the CBS US news last night and they were complaining about Fuel prices over there a mere $3.21 a gallon!!
    I am afraid it is all down to supply and demand and OPEC not increasing supply to meet the growing demand :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that 'light' fuels - petrol and diesel are in most demand in the summer, especially in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes there is increasing demand for oil-products. It is also a limited fuel, which is getting harder to find, and even more costly to extract as more advanced extraction techniques have to be developed.

Advertisement