Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€20K, sporty, non boy-racer type car?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new car whenever my Almera gives up the ghost (too much mileage to be worth trading in).

I want something a little sporty, reliable and not with a huge engine so that tax, insurance and running costs won't be too bad. Also I'd like something that Gardai don't see as being a "boy-racer" type car, I don't want to be getting unnecessary hassle. Nothing against those cars but they can attract hassle, particularly being a young driver (24), especially when compared to an Almera saloon! :D

Anyway a few cars that I have have considered are:

Mazda MX-5 - the current favourite
    Maxda RX-8 - a little bit too expensive maybe, are these heavy on fuel?
    Toyota MR2 - a little too dinky I think
    Honda S2000 - bit too expensive

What do you think of the choices above and any other recommendations?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Can't go wrong with the MX5 really.

I'd also take a look at the Alfa GT 1.9 diesel, the new Honda Civic hatchback, the Audi A3 1.8T and Lexus IS200.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda MX-5 is probably your best option. Available in 1.6 litre though the 1.8 litre is the better engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Why not try a Celica T-Sport. 1.8ltr engine with 190bhp and very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

The RX8 is fairly heavy on petrol. With your budget I imagine you'd be looking at the 192 variety which is moderatly better then the 231. Looking at the UK owners club forum would suggest getting more then 300 miles from a (60 litre) tank is a bit of an achievement.

Can't wait to get mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

What about an audi S3, 210 bhp 4wd and all the nice bits, leather and so on.
    Later models were 225bhp.
    There a 1.8 so tax and running costs wont be too high.

1.8t Gti golf, 180 bhp.
    Audi tt.
    Seat leon cupra 180bhp, or cupra r 210/225bhp.
    Octavia vRS?

I'm a bit biased towards the vag 1.8t engine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

MX-5 is a good choice, pretty much bullet proof, reasonable engine size/power for your age (thinking insurance). Be wary that some insurance companies won't touch a convertible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Of the ones you suggested I'd take the MX5 or the S2000. Friend got an MX5 a week ago and it's very nice. TBH, I'd look for one a couple of years old that had been well maintained rather than buying new though. They don't depreciate quickly, but you might as well let someone else take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Is it just me or am i the only one that thinks the MX-5 is more a womans car? Its a little like a hairdressors transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi folks,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new car whenever my Almera gives up the ghost (too much mileage to be worth trading in).

I want something a little sporty, reliable and not with a huge engine so that tax, insurance and running costs won't be too bad. Also I'd like something that Gardai don't see as being a "boy-racer" type car, I don't want to be getting unnecessary hassle. Nothing against those cars but they can attract hassle, particularly being a young driver (24), especially when compared to an Almera saloon! :D

Anyway a few cars that I have have considered are:

Mazda MX-5 - the current favourite
    Maxda RX-8 - a little bit too expensive maybe, are these heavy on fuel?
    Toyota MR2 - a little too dinky I think
    Honda S2000 - bit too expensive

What do you think of the choices above and any other recommendations?
    Thanks.

Get a mk2 MR2 Turbo, you will not be dissapointed. Quick, handles well, cheap to insure and still somewhat unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

logik wrote:
    Is it just me or am i the only one that thinks the MX-5 is more a womans car? Its a little like a hairdressors transport.
    No it's not just you, it's all the other people who've never driven one too :)

Mind you, a lot of people who have them drive them like a hairdresser, i.e. 50km/h in 5th gear with the roof up on a sunny day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

logik wrote:

Nah, that's the Opel Tigra you're thinking of! :D

My girlfriend reckons that the MX-5 is middle aged, male mid-life crisis type car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Lots of interesting suggestions there lads, I'll consider them all.

Still a little biased towards the MX-5. I really must test drive one I guess so I can get a better opinion of it but supposedly it's a good drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

While I don't think the MX5 wil be on my shopping list I do think that they are probably the best small convertible available. Reliability, good handling, and not too bad looking. It's a good combination. There are a good few around to suit all budgets. I believe there was a special edition out a few years ago, blue in colur with a lot of extras including a 6 speed gearbox.
    A friend of mine had one of these for a few years and he got great enjoyment from it.
    It's not really a practical car, i.e. (boot space, only room for one passenger) it's small so just bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I think you'll find the MR2 turbo is the cheapest to insure for the power you are getting. Mine only costs 600 euro fully comp with Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

S2000 (1st) or the RX-8 (close 2nd). There is a gulf between them and the MR2 and MX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

teflon wrote:
    Is the ironing board included ;) The OP said non boy racer. As somebody mentioned, Audi TT

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=647092

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

My girlfriend reckons that the MX-5 is middle aged, male mid-life crisis type car!
    Yeah if you're gay, "not that there's anything wrong with being gay".
    Gaywheels.com Top 10 Most Researched Vehicles
    http://www.gaywheels.com/toyota_yaris_maintains_top_spo.htm

Advertisement