Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

27.5K to spend. What to buy?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a budget of 27/28K to spend. Call me boring :) but was looking at a 2005 honda accord 2.2 diesel. I know I know. I want a 2-3 year old car, saloon that looks great and has good power.

Dont have a great opinion of the Audi cos I think they are just overpriced for what you get and I just cant see anything beating the Honda for the extras you get with it and the sheer quality of the engine.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

MINI Cooper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

I think I'll wait until the saloon version comes out. Thanks anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

For that money you can get some really nice cars.

I agree with you on Honda but you also have:

Audi
    BMW
    Mercedes

in your price range. You can pick up a real nice car for 27k.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have an Audi A4 1.9 130bhp and am very happy with it. Brother in law has an accord, the 1.8 petrol version so you cannot exactly compare but he reckons mine is "a better car" than his as regards power and performance.

I do like the Accord though, even though the older modle was a nicer shape!!

Mine has every extra you can get on the Audi, bided my time and waited until I spotted a well loaded one, brought it from UK.
    If you want extras then either NI or UK is place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Passat or Avensis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hi,

I have a budget of 27/28K to spend. Call me boring :) but was looking at a 2005 honda accord 2.2 diesel. I know I know. I want a 2-3 year old car, saloon that looks great and has good power.

Dont have a great opinion of the Audi cos I think they are just overpriced for what you get and I just cant see anything beating the Honda for the extras you get with it and the sheer quality of the engine.

Any ideas?

thanks.

You are boring :D

Accord is a good machine however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tinkerbell wrote:
    MINI Cooper!!

OP is looking for a saloon car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Save yourself a few grand and go for this... :D

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=640804

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Focus ST

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Accord 2.2 diesel is a lovely car - it only comes in executive spec here so you get all of the toys as standard. The engine is the most refined diesel I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fine car. One thing that would stop me is that the Honda will still have some very steep depreciation to cover over the next couple of years. Then again, Honda have only very recently offered there first diesel, so if you aren't gonna spend your whole budget, it won't be a diesel you'll be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

One of the best cars you can buy, if you can stomach car tax of 1100 a year.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=600143

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Accord diesel has been available since 2004 so there are plenty to choose from on your budget. Irish models only came in Executive trim which is a plus as they have every extra as standard:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=610198
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=622871

I'm very tempted by this one myself but still a bit expensive considering the mileage and year:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=672231

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

unkel wrote:
    Fine car. One thing that would stop me is that the Honda will still have some very steep depreciation to cover over the next couple of years. Then again, Honda have only very recently offered there first diesel, so if you aren't gonna spend your whole budget, it won't be a diesel you'll be getting

Just wondering why you think that the Honda has some very steep depreciation ahead of it? The latest model Accord has been holding it's value quite well and the diesels in particular. Also, judging by the amount of posts lately in this forum alone, there is quite a demand for them. And as we know in car sales, demand = slow depreciation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Andrewf20 wrote:
    One of the best cars you can buy, if you can stomach car tax of 1100 a year.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=600143

How much BHP does the 330d have? i'm assuming it's ultra quick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Older ones used have 184bhp, newer ones (not sure if it was 03 or 04 they changed) had over the 205 mark, possibly up to 220 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

eljono wrote:
    Just wondering why you think that the Honda has some very steep depreciation ahead of it? The latest model Accord has been holding it's value quite well and the diesels in particular

Very good point. In fact, the lowest depreciating mainstream cars in the UK over the first 3 years are the BMW 320d and the MB C220 CDI. Both cars in the segment where the Accord diesel aspires to be

But we all know that the Accord will depreciate relatively more than the BMW or MB. And judging by the fairly high price in the ad (meaning it hasn't depreciated that much yet - good for the previous owner, not good for the present buyer - there will be much more to come. Put it another way. Even cars with glacial deprecation over the first three years as the BMW and the MB above, will eventually depreciate to a residual value in the low figures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

draffodx wrote:

Was looking at one of those myself, weapon of a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭omega man

draffodx wrote:

That your motor draffodx?? I just sold mine yesterday, depreciation was a bitch but had to shift it. Great all round car all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement