Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Normal warranty offered when buying secondhand?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering what kinda warranties have people normally got here when buying second hand?

i bought a 01 golf gti and got a 9mth warranty 6 on everything and remaing 3 mechanical only

then a 00 323ci and i got a 12 mth warranty on a list of specific components from mapfre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

It varies from place to place, for similar cars in one garage i was offered a 12 month warranty on everything, another was a 6 month engine and gearbox only, car is pretty new so most likely wont have problems. When my mam bought her car the garage wanted her to buy a warranty!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The imprtant thing about warranties is that you get them in writing. Buying a second hand car and accepting a verbal warranty effectively means that you have no warranty (if the seller chooses so).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In my experience it usually depends on how old the car is and who you are buying it from.

I know the likes of Toyota dealer networks will give you a 12 month warranty with any used car bought from them up to 7 or 8 years old with less than 80k miles irrespective of what make it is. Nissan do similar thing with their gold standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,033 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes depends. The minimum I have come across is 3 months engine and drive train only, typically from second hand only car dealers. This hardly gives peace of mind. A 1 year full warranty from a main dealer is at the other end.

All good and well, but if something goes wrong and the dealer can't / won't fix it and won't give your money back, you'll have to go the legal route :(

I'd prefer to have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic (and if possible with service history from a main dealer) over any warranty tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I bought a 12 month old Fiat years ago from a main Fiat dealer. They tried to offer me "3 months engine and drives only" Showed the confidence they had in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Cyrus wrote:
    just wondering what kinda warranties have people normally got here when buying second hand?

i bought a 01 golf gti and got a 9mth warranty 6 on everything and remaing 3 mechanical only

then a 00 323ci and i got a 12 mth warranty on a list of specific components from mapfre

So what car are you going to get now? loved the bmw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

an imola red 530i sport :)

Cyrus wrote:

Sounds nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Toyota garages tend to offer the best warranty packages on secondhand cars. VW garages tend to be at the opposite end of the scale.

Personally I would negotiate a price without a warranty, and keep the money in the back pocket. I saved 2k on my last car this way, and that 2k is still there for any future repairs 18mths later.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they have to give you a warranty if they're a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    they have to give you a warranty if they're a dealer.

They don't have to. Maybe the franchise requires it, but it is certainly not a legal requirement.

Cyrus wrote:

Is it this colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

drdre wrote:
    Is it this colour?

Jasus i hope not! ;)This is an imola red 330ci. I love that colour.

Bluehair wrote:
    Jasus i hope not! ;)This is an imola red 330ci. I love that colour.

Thats a beautiful colour, i hated red not now after seeing those pics :)

Advertisement