Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop ethernet ports

Options
  • 03-05-2007 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys ..is it just me or a coincidence but in the last month I've come across three Dell laptops and the Ethernet ports (RJ45) just stopped working.. two of them were within six months old. Checked cables etc etc says its working in device manager,, Not disabled or anything,,,
    Is anyone aware of a problem in this area? is there an easy remedy or does it simply go back to Dell?
    All replies appreciated.

Johnnie M

ps they still work fine on their wireless connections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Haven't seen anything at work related to those symptoms, what model dells are they?
    Check 'ol Dell.ie for driver updates in case theres a fix knockin about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

many thanks magictripp.. apologies for not having all the details to hand ..I thought it may be a common problem...
    I'll get the model numbers and post back here..be a day or two till I see them again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I have come across a few Dell laptops (latitudes) that drop the network connection after a period of time whilst running on battery.It seems to be an issue with Dell Quickset if I remember correctly.

Chipset or quickset? Any idea on the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dell Quickset software disables the Ethernet ports when running on battery on some models...uninstall the Dell Quickset software from Add/Remove Programs or double click in the "QS" icon in taskbar beside clock and change the power management settings to disable turing off the ethernet port..Dell brand software sucks! Dell Network Assisstant is SHI*E! too!

• Advertisement

Thanks magitripp, sounds like your on to something there... Will that affect the windows zero configeration at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

JohnnieM wrote:
    Thanks magitripp, sounds like your on to something there... Will that affect the windows zero configeration at all?

Nope .. Dell Quickset sux :rolleyes:

Hi Carsby, Magitrip.. that "Dell Quickset " was the problem all right.. thanks a million lads..
    The power of Boards..

Regards

Johnnie M

Advertisement