Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABs Poisoned in WC

Options
  • 03-05-2007 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

...in 1995 the hosts up against the mighty All Blacks.

Rugby wise, the final wasn't the best, but for sheer sporting drama it was unbeatable. Level at 12-12 at full time, the match went to extra time, before the right boot of Joel Stransky stroked over the winning drop goal. The seemingly unbeatable All Blacks had lost. Conspiracy theories abounded. The All Blacks claimed (and some still do to this day) that their food was poisoned, and the whole team fell ill on the day of the match. When I saw Nelson Mandela handing over the trophy to South African captain Francois Pienaar, I believed it was fate.

Just came across this on a site and was wondering what this was all about and what do people think, first I heard about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Hmmm welcome to 2007 - there was a lot about it at the time and the Springboks calim that they were also poisoned.

A bit about it here too - linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Hmmm welcome to 2007
    Thanks. I would not be the first to start a new thread on something that happened a long time ago. Was just curious as haven't seen or heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

ThomasH wrote:
    Thanks. I would not be the first to start a new thread on something that happened a long time ago. Was just curious as haven't seen or heard it before.

you've never met a Kiwi then. :)

This was a very well known story at the time. And their great excuse for having lost that final.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Also apparently essential roadworks on the street outside their hotel the night before the final. Don't know how true that one is either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

or the simple fact that they choked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Does anyone have qoutes from players claiming this? I know this forum loves a good all black bashing for any reason they can think of, and but i am just curious what players came out and said it.

I thought i remeber sean fitzpatrick coming out and saying he thought one or two players were, but that it made difference on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Does anyone have qoutes from players claiming this? I know this forum loves a good all black bashing for any reason they can think of, and but i am just curious what players came out and said it.

I thought i remeber sean fitzpatrick coming out and saying he thought one or two players were, but that it made difference on the result.

mains has written a book and ruined his life over it.

Advertisement