Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT Ireland: Changing from bus. to home a/c - cant claim VAT?

• 03-05-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

BT claim that if I change from a business to a home a/c I cannot claim VAT on bills.

BT have some great home bundle deals at the moment and I want to change.
    Im a sole trader working in a small office with a single phone and broadband line.

Surely regardless of how BT class me it's a business expense. I dont live in the premises and its nothing to do with them either way.
    When sole traders work from home they are allowed to nominate a portion of their phone bill as business expense so I should surely be allowed to claim VAT back.

Im currently paying:

EUR45 a month for BT broadband @ 2MB
    EUR20 a month for Eircom for rental + calls (of which I make very few)
    TOTAL = 65 euro + VAT

For 63 per month (including VAT) I can get 3MB broadband, line rental and all national/UK landline calls so regardless it makes sense for me to change.

Surely I can claim the VAT off this though as its an expense no matter what way you look at it??
    Any comments? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

When they charge you VAT (input tax) on your bills you can deduct this from what you owe the revenue on your sales (output tax). None of BT's business concerning your VAT registration situation.

If you are using the utilities for both home and business then you will obviously have to work out a fair ratio with the revenue for deducting your input tax, again none of BT's business. Just pay the bills and they shouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Naked Giant

I understand quite well what VAT is but as you said yourself it should be none of BT's business what my VAT situaiton is. I'll report back when I change over and/or if they mentioned it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Just be careful when claiming the vat back on the likes of home phone bills, or electricity bills on your home because if you decide to sell your house you will be entering the territory of capital gains tax which will cost you a lot more than the few euro you save on your vat bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

mkdon05 wrote:
    Just be careful when claiming the vat back on the likes of home phone bills, or electricity bills on your home because if you decide to sell your house you will be entering the territory of capital gains tax which will cost you a lot more than the few euro you save on your vat bill.

Not sure how official this is, but a Revenue employee once told me that they would not consider apportionment of Electricity & heating, and Phone etc to affect PPR.

However, if you claimed part of you mortgage then that would affect PPR.

Best to get this confirmed yourselves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Its probable that the BT rep you were speaking to is certainly no expert on VAT, and merely trying to dupe you into remaining on a higher tariff.

If using phone, elec, etc for both home and business, you can simply agree with the revernue on a go forward basis which percentage relates to home and which to business use.

The percentage which is used wholly and exclusively for the business is then deductible as input tax, assuming they can be differentiated and verified.

• Advertisement
Advertisement