Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a Leisure Battery

Options
  • 03-05-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi folks. Good forum.

Could anybody point me in the direction of a supplier for a new leisure battery for my motorcaravan? I saw prices in Halfords that seemed a bit pricey and they didn't have a suitable one in stock in any case. Dont want to fit a regular battery for obvious reasons. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Leisure batteries are a good bit more expensive than starter ones.

The jury is still out if they actually make up for the extra price in extra performance / durability.

Personally I've always used starter batteries as a second batterie, but I've never had a huge demand on them anyway (no TV, no solar panels, no nothing ..just a few lights and the water pump)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

I understood that the difference was fairly significant on two fronts.
    1) leisure battery able to last better under deep cycle
    2) Hydrogen given off in charge by non-leisure battery. :eek:
    first one doen't bother me too much but the second point would concern me. My leisure battery is under passenger seat and I wouldn't want hydrogen inside the camper for fear of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The gassing thing certainly is something to worry about.
    I didn't really know about it until recently and for 15 years drove happily with a starter battery under the passenger seat :D
    Some batteries now have (outside)venting systems ...maybe that would help?
    My current second battery resides in the engine compartment, so naturalyy it's a starter battery :D

You can still kill a leisure battery just as easily as a starter battery by discharging it completely a few times.
    Yes you can discharge it "deeper" than a starter, but you can't drain it completely either. So regular top-ups via inbuilt charger still are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I purchased a leisure battery today -100mAh for €100 - he had 70mAh for €70 in that Marine Shop in Merchants Rd Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I use a Hawker Odyssey PC680 as a deep cycle battery - I get them from Tim Molloy 01 4534608. The PC680 cost, iirc, Eur 147 incl VAT.

See more on them, here: http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

I've used them for years, and find them v.good. Recovers very well if left discharged too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Try these guys:

Name : Ashgrove Interparts Ltd, Car Parts & Accessories

Address : Unit 1B, Ashgrove Industrial Estate
    Off Kill Avenue

City : Dun Laoghaire

Opening Hours : Monday - Friday:
    9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.
    Saturday:
    9.00a.m. - 1.00p.m.

Phone : 01-2805063

Fax : 01-2808371

Email : sales@ashgroveinterparts.com

No connection, just a happy (regular) customer

Thanks for the pointers folks. I hadn't thought of marine supplies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

As I understand it *any* type of battery will give off gas during discharge. So please make sure you have some form of ventilation near where its sited.

My leisure battery sits under my bench seat, and there's a small vent in the floor next to where the battery sits.

Thanks for the info folks.

Dollydishmop - I did a bit more investigation and you seem to be correct regarding the gassing on wet-cells.

galwaytt - The hawker seems to be a bit small on capacity for my needs.

As my battery is sitting under the passenger seat I guess I have to look for a battery with a vent pipe I can bring out through the van or find some way of positioning the battery in a vented area outside the van.

Nothing is ever straight forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

www.campingcrazyireland.com had lots of leisure batteries at the weekend there...
    Based in New Ross, but they have an online shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Also Charles Camping in Blessington do leisure batteries.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As I understand it *any* type of battery will give off gas during discharge. So please make sure you have some form of ventilation near where its sited.
    not quite. The type I mention, is completely sealed, and needs no ventilation. Furthermore, it can be mounted in (almost) any position - sideways, on it's back, etc etc

PickledFish - the PC680 is only one of a huge range - there are larger available. Mind you, the 680 will start my Mazda, so it's not as small as you think.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement