Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Service - Advance Pitstop??

Options
  • 03-05-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I need my car serviced as it's starting to make a few odd noises (brakes rubbing and ticking sound when I accerate in 1st / 2nd)

Now as I haven't a notion about cars and this is my 1st I'm wary of being ripped off for things I don't need - "Well of course you needed a new dibrabultron!"

I had a look at Advance Pitstop who'll have a go at it start at €180.

Can anyone recommend them or considering I reckon there's work to be done should I go else where?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Where are you based and what car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Went to Advance in Limerick when I was in the same situation as yourself (didn't know what I was at, so guessed that I was taking less of a risk by bringing the car to an established chain). I think they replaced all 4 dibrabultrons. Based on how they treated me, and how much they charged me, my guess was wrong. I felt afterwards like they weren't very concerned about getting repeat business from me.
    Since then I have tried 3 different local mechanics, to try and learn about what the options are. All were pretty decent, but one in particular I will go back to again and again. Ask a few people you know who have a car, many people have someone they will recommend strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have used them before to do the touch ups after i failed the NCT test. I found them really good and helpful and cheap. But tbh, every advanced pit-stop is going to be different and some will be leagues ahead of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Advance Pit Stop, as logik said, are different from branch to branch. Not all Advance branches are service centres although most will do smaller things like change oil, brakes, etc. If I was to recommend any Advance it would be the one on the Naas Road at JFK Ind Est, or the one on Centre Park Road in Cork - I find both quite helpful. The main problem I encounter is something I call "The Advance Culture" - they tell you you need tyres, brakes and other items whether you need them or not. I've had plenty of instances where a customer has driven into an Advance branch as was told that the car needed brakes urgently when the brakes had only been changed a few weeks before.

Use Advance if you have to, but if you let them form the opinion that you are mechanically illiterate they will most likely replace quite a few dibrabultrons and a few flux capacitors too. In fact they are probably one of the most likely outfits to tell you that your 1962 Volkswagen Beetle needs a new top radiator hose.

On the other hand, when it comes to tyres and exhausts I find them quite good - but then this is their core business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I've recently had a service (not at advance). Was told that the front brake discs needed replacing as well as the front anti-roll bar rubbers. Are the front anti-roll bar rubbers a bit of a dibrabultron?

• Advertisement

raido9 wrote:
    Are the front anti-roll bar rubbers a bit of a dibrabultron?

No - anti roll bar bushes/rubbers are real parts and do have tendancy to wear on on quite a lot of makes of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

A-Trak wrote:
    dibrabultron

:D Great word.

crosstownk wrote:
    No - anti roll bar bushes/rubbers are real parts and do have tendancy to wear on on quite a lot of makes of car.
    What are the consequences of not replacing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Bear in mind that most of the staff in Advance are not trained or even trainee mechanics.

Do an ask around locally.

raido9 wrote:
    What are the consequences of not replacing them?

They'll keep knocking and banging and eventually something will break and will then be even more costly to repair. Anti roll bar bushes aren't too expensive to replace.
    patsyh wrote:
    Bear in mind that most of the staff in Advance are not trained or even trainee mechanics.

Some Advance branches are called "Advance Service Centres" (ASC) and these branches do have trained mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Based on previous experience in their Athlone branch, I would'nt bring in a punctured wheelbarrow for them to repair.

crosstownk wrote:
    They'll keep knocking and banging and eventually something will break and will then be even more costly to repair. Anti roll bar bushes aren't too expensive to replace.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't trust Advance Pitstop to change my wipers without fu*king up. Seriously, I wouldn't give these guys a set of number plates to fit, most front line staff aren't qualified mechanics. I accept that they might be trying to raise their game a bit with their Advanced Service Outlets but I've heard they are having major quality issues around this particular project. There was some guy on here posting for advice recently who failed the NCT for wheel alignment and as far as I can work out, Advance did the wheel alignment before the test but never checked the actual steering & suspension linkages before doing the alignment. A return trip to Advance still didn't cop the problem. A second year apprentice would have been able to do this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭otis

crosstownk wrote:

In fact they are probably one of the most likely outfits to tell you that your 1962 Volkswagen Beetle needs a new top radiator hose.

Doh...took me a while to work this one out!!!!!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always found Advance shockingly expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

colm_mcm wrote:

I've heard this before on many occasions. Advance as a "brand" is one thing, it appears nice and clean and professional, etc, due to the millions Advance spend on marketing their business. The problem is that they have no vision when it comes to staff, their staff are unmotivated and couldn't care less about the needs of the customer. This goes straight to the top of their organisation, the business is run by a team of accountants who only see customers as a transaction number, they know nothing really about cars or the motor trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

Same as. Completely unreasonable. I had to buy one Conti Sport Contact from them before, and it nearly cost as much as the entire set of 4 had cost me originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

As far as I'm concerned I would only use them if I needed something done in a rush, they are good at getting things done quickly. But of course you will pay for this privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

funny how the last radio add for advance said all our staff are fully qualified mechanics.
    not likely.
    advance are one of the most expensive outlets in the country. they try to sell you either continental tyres as they are owned by the continental group (funny how other tyre retailers can do conti's cheaper) or a brand called GT when talking to the staff of advance. they don't say that GT is short for gadjah tungal.
    i could tell you horror stories about advance but.......as stated above you get good and bad anywhere.

Advertisement