Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in the wall a must-have?

Options
  • 03-05-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

within the last 3.5 years and (let me count...) eight different accomodations (it's not easy if you live 16yrs alone and then you have to share again...) there was not a single house without any cracks in at least one of the walls. I'm now in a just three year old apartment block and even there are cracks all over the place. The houses were from Georgean, built in the 20s and up to built just 3 years ago.

I wonder if this is a feature on irish houses or is emerald island sliding on a tectonic plate movement?

I wont even start to talk about the cardboard used as walls in recently built houses...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on what you mean by cracks :)

Many new places will show small cracks around the edges - most notably around doorframes, or anywhere that plaster and wood were joined together. Wood expands and contracts as temperatures change, which is the main cause of these. I can only assume that as more and more wood is used in construction of new places (Easier to build with, cheaper to transport, cheaper to replace) that "settling" cracks become more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Im talking about a gap wide enough to put a credit card in. not just a thin fine line a few mm long...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Small, stable cracks are generally OK. Others, you get an engineer to look at.

Advertisement