Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great start for Beckett

Options
  • 03-05-2007 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Josh Beckett has won 6 in a row now! He's the first Red Sox pitcher to do that since Roger Clemens. And Coco Crisp has been awesome defensively. But, can we keep it up? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You'll excuse me if I hope not! He's been awesome alright, much to my dismay. Not only does he play for one of the two chief opposition teams, but I really dont like the cut of him. Cocky fecker.
    Though, Boston defnitely got the better ex-Marlin. I think Burnett is gonna be a .500 pitcher forever. a 1:1 strikeout to walk ratio just doesn't cut it. Very frustrating guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Poor ole Tim Wakefield has a great ERA (2nd best in AL), but terrible run support (3rd worst in AL). If he got some of the runs Beckett has got.....

Beckett wasn't exactly cheap. Sox are paying Lowell $9m a year, and Hanley Ramirez looks like he is going to be a superstar. The Sox are paying Lugo funny money when they could have had Ramirez for peanuts. And Sanchez doesn't look like the worst-even if he is pitching in the NL.

However, fair play to him. The consensus is that he is actually pitching this year (as opposed to just throwing hard).

I've only seen him pitch once so far this year-and he wasn't overly impressive-the offense gave him a lot of help. But he's tenacious and durable, so will win games.

He takes on V. Zambrano in his next start.

Redsoxfan wrote:

He takes on V. Zambrano in his next start.

Haha....7-0 coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RORYBBELLOWS8

Beckett has been great, but my man of the moment is Hideki Okajima. Oki has been fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Make that 7 in a row! Woo hoo!! :D

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:
    Haha....7-0 coming up!

I'm a prophet!...oh no wait...it was blindingly obvious to anyone. Good ol' BlueJays and their 2 man rotation.

zuutroy wrote:
    I'm a prophet!...oh no wait...it was blindingly obvious to anyone. Good ol' BlueJays and their 2 man rotation.

It was a home run derby :p

Yup, I think the only way Victor Zambrano is gonna go the All Star Game is as HR Derby pitcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

''Bottom line. If any Blue Jays fan has the temerity to stop you in the street and suggest the Jays should be considered a possible AL East winner for 2007, simply scream, as loud as you can 'Tomo Ohka!! Tomo Ohka!!'

That should put the matter to rest entirely.''

From 'Teams that aren't going to win the World Series - Part 1'

:cool:

You could also scream: "Victor Zambrano, Josh Towers, Brian Tallet, Dustin McGowan, Shaun Marcum" and have the same effect!

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:
    You could also scream: "Victor Zambrano, Josh Towers, Brian Tallet, Dustin McGowan, Shaun Marcum" and have the same effect!

...and Doc Halladay judging by his last two starts. I have to ask, why do the Jays leave him in so long?? He gave up what, eight runs last night?

The common consensus is that A) He writes his own script and wants to tough it out himself and try and correct whats wrong or B) John Gibbons is a fool. He pitched pretty well after the (6 run) third.
    Now that he'd had two bad outings in a row, everyones convinced he's headed for the DL aswell. You spend 6 months waiting for the season to start and its done by mid-May. How annoying. I prefer the good ol' days when Jays fans expected nothing and a .500 season was well received!

zuutroy wrote:
    The common consensus is that A) He writes his own script and wants to tough it out himself and try and correct whats wrong or B) John Gibbons is a fool. He pitched pretty well after the (6 run) third.
    Now that he'd had two bad outings in a row, everyones convinced he's headed for the DL aswell. You spend 6 months waiting for the season to start and its done by mid-May. How annoying. I prefer the good ol' days when Jays fans expected nothing and a .500 season was well received!

How many runs and hits did he give up though - total?

How many runs and hits did he give up though - total?

Are you asking or just rubbin' my nose in it?!

zuutroy wrote:
    Are you asking or just rubbin' my nose in it?!

Honestly just asking - I like the Jays, and would rather they finish second than the Yanks. A good manager would have taken Doc out - he was clearly off.

A good manager would have taken Doc out - he was clearly off.

There's the problem, only Ricciardi just wants a yes man for some reason....11 hits, 7ER...a bad day out!

Great start for Beckett??????

Well this is just fabulous...Doc gone 4-6 weeks with acute appendicitis.Time to forget this season and let the young guys get their feet wet methinks.

On topic for a second, Beckett finds himself 2-0 down in the first against the O's (1 an error on V-Tek in fairness) and has given up 7 runs in 8 first innings this year. Interesting stat-offense will need to rescue him today-maybe we should have saved some runs from yesterday afternoon.

Yikes!

Beckett out of the game with a cut (not a blister)and there goes the perfect start.

• Advertisement

A 6th run 9th to win it...are you kiddin! :mad: :confused:

Seems to be a Sox trait the last few years, coming back in the 9th to win.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    On topic for a second, Beckett finds himself 2-0 down in the first against the O's (1 an error on V-Tek in fairness) and has given up 7 runs in 8 first innings this year. Interesting stat-offense will need to rescue him today-maybe we should have saved some runs from yesterday afternoon.

That (6-5 come back win in the 9th) was some rescue mission

I think a lot of credit needs to go to Sam Perlozzo. I watched the whole thing-amazing.

Hopefully Beckett only misses one start-I think he would be due to pitch against the Braves-think of the KKKKKKKKKKK performance we could miss out on against a AAAA team (and the return of Rent-an-error to Beantown).

Beckett was impressive in the short time he pitched yesterday-looks like the ace this year after Schilling's performance on Saturday.

Are you saying the Braves are a AAAA team? Not this year....Who's Rent-an-error?

Rent-an-Error used to play in Bsoton and they still pay most of his salary.

The Braves will always be AAAA while they are in the NL :D .

On topic-Beckett played catch today.

I would go one further and say ALL NL teams are Quadruple-A at the moment. Even the major league players say the same. When talking about the differences Clemens will face in the AL Craig Biggio said that in the AL you face 4-5 tough batters in any given lineup, whilst in the NL it's only 2-3 at best.

That's straight from the mouth of an NL player

I'm gonna start a separate thread on why all NL teams are AAAA and explain how/why the D'Backs, Marlins and Cards have won WS in recent years........

Redsoxfan wrote:
    I'm gonna start a separate thread on why all NL teams are AAAA and explain how/why the D'Backs, Marlins and Cards have won WS in recent years........

Make sure so you note the AL's record against the NL since interleague began (Haven't got the exact figures to hand but I know it's almost 2-1 in favour of the AL)

• Advertisement

Make sure so you note the AL's record against the NL since interleague began (Haven't got the exact figures to hand but I know it's almost 2-1 in favour of the AL)

Nope...Its 1250 to 1202 in favour of the AL. I think you're thinking of last year where it was 154 to 98.

Advertisement