Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway barriers

Options
  • 03-05-2007 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Should all motorways have "Armco" barriers rather than the "stake and cable" that are on many stretches of road?

Have a look at this clip and decide would a stake and cable have stopped the truck crossing the median. Tha Armco did and stopped a relatively minor accident from turning into a head-on pile-up into oncoming traffic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

the cable barriers wouldnt have even budged at that truck. ive seen a car hit them at 100mph and just get pushed back off them.

Theres no way the truck would have went through the cable barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they should all be Armco barriers. Cable barriers are just dangerous, and soon to be illegal to put up.

they are not all that dangerous. most things will just bounce off them. the only problem that might occur is if a biker hits them, but at the same time a biker wont fair any better hitting armco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The truck driver swerved around a lot trying to regain control and hit the barrier a second time. Would the cable still have been intact to hold the second impact or would it have been stretched from the first impact.

Another point look at the amount of damage to the barriers elsewhere in that clip, would cable still be functional after repeated impacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if speed was the (only) problem. If you look at the left of the video, just as the truck comes into view, he already seems to be on the hard shoulder.

Its quite possible there was something else involved, possibly to do with the vehicle (accident victim?) in the hard shoulder.

A bend that (apparently) sharp would have an Armco in an Irish situation.

• Advertisement

they are not all that dangerous. most things will just bounce off them. the only problem that might occur is if a biker hits them, but at the same time a biker wont fair any better hitting armco
    they'd be less likely to lose their head, or some other body part.

the cables wouldnt even budge if hit. i was at the barrier when the car hit it doing about 100mph and the cables hadnt budged. the car bounced out and hit it again 2 or 3 times and not a hint on the cables that anything had happened.

If a biker hit armco at motorway speeds he would loose something.

the cables wouldnt even budge if hit. i was at the barrier when the car hit it doing about 100mph and the cables hadnt budged. the car bounced out and hit it again 2 or 3 times and not a hint on the cables that anything had happened.

If a biker hit armco at motorway speeds he would loose something.
    If cable barriers are so safe and fine, why are the EU in the process of mking them illegal? Why have certain countries already made them illegal?

An Armco barrier will hurt you, and cable barrier will cut you.

well i agree that they are dangerous for anyone not in a car/truck/bus but cant see anything else being much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

From a bikers point of view cable barriers are lethal.

A member of a online group I'm in was killed last weekend by one when it hit it his leg was cut clean off and he blead to death on the side of the road. I'm not going to post the email that I recieved about it as it would be disrespectful to his family and its too graphic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear that. Where did it happen?

Victor wrote:
    Sorry to hear that. Where did it happen?

It was in the North of Germany, he was just unlucky enough to have it happen on a road with some of the remaining cable barriers. As far as I know it was a mountain road and it was on a corner so maybe the barrier was put there was a quick fix until something else was available.

without being disrepectful, at the speed he was going for the cable to take his leg off, would he have been any better hitting anything else?

My posts are just on what i have witnessed first hand so not disputing that they are dangerous to bikers

without being disrepectful, at the speed he was going for the cable to take his leg off, would he have been any better hitting anything else?

My posts are just on what i have witnessed first hand so not disputing that they are dangerous to bikers

He was taking a left hand bend and the belly stand on the bike (a kawasaki w650) caught a lump of tarmac, it flipped him over the other side of the road and he hit the barrier, the barrier cut his leg off and he ended up in a ditch. He blead to death and I think he wasn't found for a while.

Horrible way to go, if i was going to have a bike accident and die I'd rather hit a wall and end it early.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The stakes used to retain the cables would also be lethal to bikers.
    These types of barrier are AFAIK only used because of costs!

horrible way to go but again,i cant see him hitting anything else with that force and fairing any better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Just from my own personal observations from numerous previous accidents (on the N4 in particular), these cables are not worth it and offer little protection after being hit once.
    A recent accident on the M4 close to the Celbridge interchange proved this, there was nothing left of the cabling and posts used to support them after a one car accident (a small car at that).
    I'd hate to think what they'd do to a biker - didn't one unfortunate die on the then recently opened M7 a couple of years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

they are supposed to be concrete barriers in place for motorways. on the new motorway to galway (cant think of its name n6?) its all concrete. this came into law nearly 2 years ago when there was a crash on the athlone dual carrageway when a car went through the armco, onto oncoming trafic. it happened in the middle of the night, nobody was badly hurt, within a month they started repacing the armco with concrete. The m50 will eventualy have concrete as well, i think they are waiting for the upgrade to finish before they are put in place

The new stretch from Kinnegad to Tyrrelspass (and presumably the section due to open heading towads Athlone) isn't actually motorway but it dual carriageway yet as you say it sports a concrete barrier!
    The concrete barrier on the most of the sections of the M50 being upgraded are already in pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm guessing from the clip, that there's a road hazard such as oil just around the corner. The car parked perpendicular on the hard shoulder seems to have suffered some damage, and the armco seems badly damaged at that point.

I'm more amazed at how well the truck seems to have fared from the collision.

I've always had a problem with the wire barriers, and not necessarily from a biking point of view. Simple physics will tell you that anything hitting the wire barrier will exert more pressure on each of the wires, than the same object hitting a large solid object such as an armco - the force of the impact will be spread out across the entire height of the armco. The wires will almost certainly act in a cheese slicer fashion in any impact, which makes them unpredictable as to the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

The main draw back of cable barriers is that once an accident happens - even if they don't snap - the entire stretch from anker to anker is potentially unsafe! And if not checked properly / or repaired - the next car hitting the cable may just go straight through!!!!

I'm not a fan of those unside-down y shaped concrete barriers.
    A friend of mine and his wife got killed in Germany when their car (convertible) made contact with them, the front tyre started to run up the barrier and car flipped over...!!!!

The profile shape was a bit different, but I'm always thinking about them when looking at the m50 roadworks and all the other new duallers with those barriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tauren wrote:
    they'd be less likely to lose their head, or some other body part.

Closed coffin or open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tauren wrote:
    If cable barriers are so safe and fine, why are the EU in the process of mking them illegal? Why have certain countries already made them illegal?

I've seen this ****e spouted by bikers before. I still have to see any legislation from any EU country making them illegal. The EU itself can't make anything illegal, so that's part of your theory thrown out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

thats true, its still dual carrageway. its speed linit is only 100km, i have seen the guards out with their speed cameras around the kinnegad section more than once! once the next streact is done, i supposed to upgraded to a motorway, dont know why is isnt a motor way now

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

kbannon wrote:
    The new stretch from Kinnegad to Tyrrelspass (and presumably the section due to open heading towads Athlone) isn't actually motorway but it dual carriageway yet as you say it sports a concrete barrier!
    The concrete barrier on the most of the sections of the M50 being upgraded are already in pace.

Its not a motorway yet since the county council still havent got around to doing the required legalities to make it a motorway.

There are lay-bys which I presume wouldn't be allowed. There are (IIRC) also farmers access points along it (either that or the farmers just park there).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

testicle wrote:
    I've seen this ****e spouted by bikers before. I still have to see any legislation from any EU country making them illegal. The EU itself can't make anything illegal, so that's part of your theory thrown out the window.

The EU can make lots of things illegal without necessarily having a great deal of support from the member states. I have no idea about the barriers being made illegal though.

I thought one of the benefits of the cable was that is is a bit more forgiving when hit by a car, and will catch the vehicle rather than bouncing it back.

I can sympathise with the bikers, but if a biker crashes at 120km/h, it doesn't really matter if he hits a mattress; the odds of survival are remote.

They may not be doing 120km/h. These barriers are on dual carriageways also where the speed is lower.

@seamus and whosedaddy?
    Believe it or not, the cables dont actualy cut through the car. the car would hit the cable and rebound off it. where as with armco, the vehicle just makes **** of them. look at the video again and see how effective the armco would be having been hit by the truck? it wou=nt do much good on the ground.

Ive seen cable barriers take hit after hit and not budge.

And about the biker thing again, id be more concerned about the vertical posts on all types of barrier more then the horizontal part of the barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Spitfire666: I didn't say the cables cut through the car... the other way round. I have seen damaged cables on the M1 a while ago - they were not fixed for quite some time.

Re bikers, yes the vertical posts are the dangerous bit.. In Germany some bikers got decapitated when they slide though underneath the horizonal barrier, then they slowly started fitting cushions around the exposed poles (the road authorities that is - not the bikers ;) ).

Advertisement