Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR - any good?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Just had a quick look at this on youtube. Game engine seems very similar to WoW.

I played WoW a bit but never really got past level 40, kinda lost interest...

But I'd find it hard to fault the interface or game mechanics in any way and would think its difficult to improve it.

So, is LOTR just a WoW clone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I heard from a non-official source that it's WoW in a LOTR skin :) Haven't actually played it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Check out the other LOTR topics, where ppl whove played it have posted
    Would make sense :p

And yes, it is good:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I like it... they have some problems with login servers atm, I expected some level of problems since most games have it at launch (I played SWG from launch, talk about bugs), but I hope they do get it sorted out soon.

Otherwise, I think the game has great potential. It looks good, the in-game music system is nice if you don't feel like doing much, crafting is good too (although I expect some tweaks very soon, it's way too expensive at the moment) and you get the most amount of XP from quests so no spawncamping or endlessly killing mobs in one spot. The quests generally involve running around a bit looking for something or someone, killing a mob, delivering something etc, so it's nice, there aren't too many of the "go to the north east corner and kill 50 wolfs" like WoW.

There is also a "monster play" system in place, where you can basically turn your character into someone from the other side, like Orc or Uruk'hai, and play in a different zone. At level 40, you can bring your main into that zone too so it'll be interesting to see how PvP works once more people level up.

They said they will introduce player housing in the next patch or the one after, and if they actually stick to that, they will make me and im sure a lot of other former SWG players really happy!

The people on the servers are way better than WoW, although anyone who has played another MMO knows that it cant actually get worse. Avoid the OOC channel and it's generally nice and peaceful. The atmosphere, the background sounds and music and the graphics really give the LOTR's feeling.

Takes a while to get into it though, so my recommendation is try it for a month, get a character atleast to level 20 and see what you think (maybe wait a few weeks though for them to sort out the login server problems).

Compared to WoW, I'd say it's much more relaxed. I liked hanging out in the canteen in SWG, playing some music and having a drink, in LOTR I like playing my harp and smoking my pipe-weed (I'm a hobbit, and the guild's very own pipe-weed dealer), mainly inbetween quests or when I don't feel like actually doing anything. It's nice to have a game with some level of role-playing (although in all honesty im not really a RP'er)... but yea, im done rambling for now, give it a shot is my advice, it's not a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

SeantheMan wrote:
    Check out the other LOTR topics, where ppl whove played it have posted
    Would make sense :p

really? Because the only threads I see are those about what servers people are on and 7 day trials.

So I started one on the game itself, thought it "would make sense".
    I like it... they have some problems with login servers atm, I expected some level of problems since most games have it at launch (I played SWG from ...............

(although in all honesty im not really a RP'er)... but yea, im done rambling for now, give it a shot is my advice, it's not a bad game.

much better. great review, thanks.

Advertisement