Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible slowdown and CPU usage prob

Options
  • 02-05-2007 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey guys.

I have a Toshiba Equium, it's only a few months old. Anyway, about three weeks ago, my CPU usage hit around 60-70% after normally being around the 10% mark. I looked at the processes and nothing was out of order, and I ran virus scans with AVG, MCafee and Norton.

The machine was going so slow, and videos and songs would slur, going at about 25% of their normal speed.

I had no choice but to reformat.

Now, today, the problem has returned. While I was watching a video file, the end of the file was broken and when I reached that part, the problems began again.

Please, has anyone any idea what the hell's going on?

CPU usage at 60% and system very slow!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Try this, may tell us whats wrong

Please download the self-extracting version of HijackThis from here:

HijackThis_sfx download

Save HijackThis_sfx to your desktop.

Double-click the file then click the Unzip button. Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it. If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on. Delete any copies of HijackThis.zip that you have saved.

Open HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a log file. Copy the entire contents of that log and post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

starjammer wrote:

I had no choice but to reformat.

You had plenty of choices. You never, ever have to resort to reformat.
    starjammer wrote:

What process is consuming the most CPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 starjammer

hey thanks a lot for your reply

Here's the data:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 21:08:17, on 02/05/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSMain.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoomingHook.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TODDSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TCtrlIOHook.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Tvs\TvsTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Direct Disc Writer\ddwmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\DAP\DAP.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PadTouch] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKEY] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HWSetup] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Applet\HWSetup.exe hwSetUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SVPWUTIL] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Windows Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe SVPwUTIL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zooming] ZoomingHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TCtryIOHook] TCtrlIOHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tvs] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Tvs\TvsTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDWMon] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Direct Disc Writer\\ddwmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Clean Traces - C:\Program Files\DAP\Privacy Package\dapcleanerie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service (CFSvcs) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TODDSrv.exe

Tom:

RTHDCPL.exe is 18000k

svchost is 22000k

iFrmewrk.exe is 12000k

and explorer.exe at 25000k

I use firefox as my browser.

The problem was Tom, nobody knew the answer to my problem before, I tried different forums though, not this one as far as I know, so hopefully my luck will change.

I think I found what's wrong..
    This entry
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    is a resource hog

However the most important thing from the log is this entry
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"

Zero Config MFC Application, part of Intel’s ProSET utilities and installed by the drivers for many of Intel wireless network cards - essential to the proper functioning of many of the Intel ProSET utilities (but not all) and these
    System Tray ProSET utilities are a must if you are using your wireless connection, if only so you know when the signal is fading or dropping. The problem is that, in some PCs, ZCFGSVC can be incredibly badly behaved : taking up to 100% of CPU time and therefore resulting in an extremely slow PC, preventing the installation of software or Windows updates, or causing “Not Responding” or “End this Program” shutdown problems. If you experience this, try first the very latest drivers from Intel or your laptop manufacturer. If that still does not solve the problem
    and you have Windows XP/2003, try setting the “Wireless Zero Configuration” service to Disabled.

The problem is, if we disable this above entry in HijackThis it might mess up your wireless.. So your best move is to check for update in your drives from Intel or Toshiba.

We can disable the microsoft office and a Realtek spyware entry which might help a bit. So run HijackThis, and check this entry :

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Then click "Fix checked".

You now need to update your Java and remove your older versions.
    Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.

* Click Start > Control Panel.
    * Click Add/Remove Programs.
    * Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the name.
    * Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE), and install it to your computer.
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    Go to Java Runtime Environment

Your using an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, this can leave your pc open to vulnerabilities, you can update it here :
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Also you should get a good anti-spyware and firewall program for your pc. I can recommend some after you do the above steps.

Get back to me concerning all this if possible ;)
    Hope it helps

• Advertisement

Hey

I updated some drivers but I was having trouble finding ones related to wireless or sound and that. Most were little ones like power saver and that.

That ZCF thing is only taking up 7000k max tho on the task manager display, do you think its still having a big role?

I updated everything else as you said, java, adobe and fixed those things in hijack.

Still same problem :(

What about a system restore? lol

starjammer wrote:
    The problem was Tom, nobody knew the answer to my problem before, I tried different forums though, not this one as far as I know, so hopefully my luck will change.

Ok, I apologise for being so snappy. It just irks me when others suggest a re-format to fix problems.

Anyway, you are mixing up memory usage with CPU usage. I'm looking for the processes that are taking up most of the CPU percentage, not memory.

I think the ZCF thing is responsible, I cant see anything else that would be the answer. You could disable some start up entries, might help.
    A system restore might work I suppose...Personally id find a solution for the ZCF thing before a system restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

tom dunne wrote:
    It just irks me when others suggest a re-format to fix problems..
    Tom your a man after my own heart....I cannot stand cocky f^&*wits who think the be all and end all answer to IT problems is a wipe and reinstall...

Hey actor, thanks for all your helpful advice.

I updated my network adapter driver and have used the latest toshiba updates, the problem is still there, so I don't think its too do with that ZCF thing...

In response to Tom, all my cpu usage numbers were at 00 except for system idle process at 02 at time of this message.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Slow video and sound, and webpage, seems operating at 25% speed. This all started when i tried to watch a broken video. Is it odd?

Thanks

• Advertisement

starjammer wrote:

Right, I'm confused.

Are you now saying that there is actually no process above 2%?

If that is the case, remove the following using HiJackThis:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDWMon] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Direct Disc Writer\\ddwmon.exe

There's a load of other Toshiba crap there that I would get rid of - it's really a case of trial and error. Remove them one-by-one, see if there is any problem, then go onto the next one.

Sorry Tom.

The Cpu usage peaks at 60% yeah, but I was looking at the CPU section on the processes list when I gave you the 00 and 02 readouts. But that's exactly how it is.

Is it normal for a machine to just switch from great performance to crap in the space of 5 seconds?

I've deleted the quicktime one with hijack this already thanks, ill work on the toshiba one.

Advertisement