Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Dublin to Kilkenny on Friday

Options
  • 02-05-2007 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm heading to Kilkenny on Friday and being that it's the start of the Bank Holiday I'm obviously a little worried about traffic. I don't get off work til 5.30 so leaving Dublin before 6pm is not an option. Just wondering if people could possibly advise me what the worst time for traffic generally is as I'm trying to decide whether to hope traffic dies off and leave later in the evening altogether, or whether it's going to be bad no matter what so I'm best setting off at 6pm sharp. Sorry if it's a stupid/unanswerable question, just looking for anyone's opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I used to do Dublin-Waterford (same road most of the way) all the time on Friday evenings, and I found that 1) bank holiday weekends had some of the lightest traffic (because everyone had already left), and 2) waiting until 7 to leave Dublin made a huge difference.

The only possible spanner in the works is the whole Red Cow thing at the moment. I haven't been to Dublin by road since January (moved to the wonderful SE in November), so I don't know what it's like. You can't avoid it though... so my advice to you is to go and have a bit of a bite to eat right after work and then get in the car.

Enjoy KK!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Leeby wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I'm heading to Kilkenny on Friday and being that it's the start of the Bank Holiday I'm obviously a little worried about traffic. I don't get off work til 5.30 so leaving Dublin before 6pm is not an option. Just wondering if people could possibly advise me what the worst time for traffic generally is as I'm trying to decide whether to hope traffic dies off and leave later in the evening altogether, or whether it's going to be bad no matter what so I'm best setting off at 6pm sharp. Sorry if it's a stupid/unanswerable question, just looking for anyone's opinions.

Thanks in advance!

where in dublin you coming from? I travel Dublin to Carlow most days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭WhiteAp

Why not take the train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Im coming from Irishtown.

We did consider the train but we need the car to get around during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

I drive from Dublin to Kilkenny most Friday evenings being from Kilkenny and have usually found it grand, it actually seems to be a bit quieter on Bank Holiday weekends as people seem to leave at different times, getting off early from work and all that.

Have found the best time to leave is usually around 7ish, you'll usually be delayed for a bit in Castledermot and then going through Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Leeby wrote:
    Im coming from Irishtown.

We did consider the train but we need the car to get around during the weekend.

if you want to beat the traffic in Carlow there is a way, after the big roundabout coming into Carlow at the industrial estate take the first left, it's a narrow road, come to the bottom of that about 1/4 of a mile and take the right follow that road all around until you come to a roundabout, turn right the 2nd exit at this. Then you come to another roundabout take the left, this will bring you on to the O'brien road. continue on that until you come to the next roundabout and go straight through it, signposted inner relief road, at the next roundabout take the right and go straight on, signed kilkenny from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I'll leave at 7 and use that way through Carlow so.

Thanks a mil for all your help!:)

Advertisement