Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Melvins

Options
  • 02-05-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow night, Galway
    Saturday Night, Dublin

Anyone going? gutted i cant make either, let me know how they were if anyone goes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

All I can say is I want to see Fantomas live and I'm pissed I missed them last time. Bozzio on drums too :( relevant, as if anyone isn't aware Buzz Osborne / King Buzzo is in Fantomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

yevveh wrote:
    All I can say is I want to see Fantomas live and I'm pissed I missed them last time. Bozzio on drums too :( relevant, as if anyone isn't aware Buzz Osborne / King Buzzo is in Fantomas.

Seen Fantomas in Glasgow last year.......all i can say is they were absolutely fecking outstanding....patton is a god among men :)

Damn you :( there's some great footage of them at the Montreaux Jazz Fest on Youtube, well worth a watch. Patton is indeed a god, that said I'm not much a fan of Tomahawk.. even his genious can't save them for me.

Recommend some Melvins perchance?

I'm guessing you know the fantomas/melvins "Big Band" album Millenium Monsterworks?
    thats how i got into them anyway, umm recomendations...probably try Houdini or the album they done with Lustmord.....they seem to do as many collaborations as Mike Patton....sluts that they are! :D

I know it and I think I have it but I haven't listened, mostly due to a disappointing review on allmusic.com. Shallow I know but I'll give it a spin.

In all fairness nearly all of Pattons collaborations are excellent.. Peeping Tom and Lovage were great (plus Music to Make Love To Your Old Lady By is just a splendid album title :D), haven't heard General Patton but I'm told thats excellent..

I hope there's a Patton thread somewhere on this board, because no matter how good Melvins are they can't do it like Patton!! (Im not trying to hijack your thread, I swear ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

This probably belongs in Rock/Metal but I heart Melvins so it's staying here :D

Best place to start with Melvins is Houdini. Probably their best album, it's my favourite in any case. It's the right mix of heavy sludge and bizarre fun. The other two Atlantic albums (Stag and Stoner Witch) are also worth checking out, all of them are usually cheap (~€10).

The Fantomas/Melvins Big Band is good but not great. Mainly due to the quality of the recording, too bad it wasn't recorded better.

The aforementioned collaboration with Lustmord, Pigs of the Roman Empire, absolutely slays. But for unrivalled heaviness, you can't beat classic Melvins such as Bullhead or Lysol (the one with the Indian on the cover, they had to remove the name Lysol for legal reasons). Both of these records are heavy as **** and highly recommended.

The trilogy of Ipecac albums that came out around the same time are all gold, The Crybaby is a collaboration album with Mike Patton, Tool, Foetus, Hank Williams III, David Yow and more. Hostile Ambient Takeover is another great late period Melvins album, featuring Adam Jones from Tool on synthesisers. The last album, A Senile Animal is the one where they joined forces with Big Business to make the rockinest band on earth. Not as heavy or as experimental as their older stuff but still a cracker of an album.

And for the record, the Melvins **** all over Patton from a great height ;)

John wrote:
    This probably belongs in Rock/Metal but I heart Melvins so it's staying here :D

Best place to start with Melvins is Houdini. Probably their best album, it's my favourite in any case. It's the right mix of heavy sludge and bizarre fun. The other two Atlantic albums (Stag and Stoner Witch) are also worth checking out, all of them are usually cheap (~€10).

The Fantomas/Melvins Big Band is good but not great. Mainly due to the quality of the recording, too bad it wasn't recorded better.

The aforementioned collaboration with Lustmord, Pigs of the Roman Empire, absolutely slays. But for unrivalled heaviness, you can't beat classic Melvins such as Bullhead or Lysol (the one with the Indian on the cover, they had to remove the name Lysol for legal reasons). Both of these records are heavy as **** and highly recommended.

The trilogy of Ipecac albums that came out around the same time are all gold, The Crybaby is a collaboration album with Mike Patton, Tool, Foetus, Hank Williams III, David Yow and more. Hostile Ambient Takeover is another great late period Melvins album, featuring Adam Jones from Tool on synthesisers. The last album, A Senile Animal is the one where they joined forces with Big Business to make the rockinest band on earth. Not as heavy or as experimental as their older stuff but still a cracker of an album.

And for the record, the Melvins **** all over Patton from a great height ;)

I suppose that depends on your definition of "alternative" doesnt it? man i hate that term.
    So you going to the gig then? :D
    Havnt heard the crybaby in full only a couple of tracks from it, and your right pigs of the Roman Empire certainly does slay!

As for Melvins V Patton i think it depends on what your looking for, the sheer diversity of pattons body of work wins through for me though :D

I'm not going :(, I'll be in Berlin. This is the second time the Melvins play here and I'll be in Berlin. When they did the Houdini album in full I was going to Berlin to DJ a party, which was cancelled. I was ****ing raging. This time I'm going to Berlin for a wedding, which is cancelled but I'm more pissed off than raging.

I'll definitely give you Patton's diversity being a selling point but I find he shoots himself in the foot sometimes in trying to do everything. He'll do a fantastic few albums with Mr. Bungle, Fantomas or Tomahawk but then he'll release utter crap like Faith No More, Peeping Tom or that album with the X-cutioners (or whatever they're called). The Melvins only have one crappy release to their name (their demos that came out last year or the year before).

John wrote:
    I'm not going :(, I'll be in Berlin. This is the second time the Melvins play here and I'll be in Berlin. When they did the Houdini album in full I was going to Berlin to DJ a party, which was cancelled. I was ****ing raging. This time I'm going to Berlin for a wedding, which is cancelled but I'm more pissed off than raging.

I'll definitely give you Patton's diversity being a selling point but I find he shoots himself in the foot sometimes in trying to do everything. He'll do a fantastic few albums with Mr. Bungle, Fantomas or Tomahawk but then he'll release utter crap like Faith No More, Peeping Tom or that album with the X-cutioners (or whatever they're called). The Melvins only have one crappy release to their name (their demos that came out last year or the year before).

i liked Peeping Tom to be honest, it took a few listens but it was one of those albums that got in you head and stayed there.
    Faith no more was a money spinner at the end of the day, he got what he needed out of it in terms of fame and fortune and jumped ship as soon as he could.
    As for general patton and the X-ecutioners....it got one listen and was promptly binned.
    TBH i think Pattons best work comes when he works with people who know him well enough to compliment his style/s, and vice versa.

back to the melvins, i havnt heard everything theyve done, as i said before it was the big band stuff that got me interested.
    Wasnt really a massive fan of stag though, something about it just grated a little on me, cant quite put my finger on it, in saying that it was a fair while ago, maybe i'll give it another whirl.

Stag isn't the best to be honest, it would get the fewest spins out of any of their albums at Castle John. If you haven't heard Houdini, check that out.

• Advertisement

Are my posts so badly written?! :eek:
    Houdini was my first reccomendation to yveh for a non-collaboration melvins album! :D
    Cracking Album, turn it up and disgust your neighbours well and truly :)

Whoops! Sorry, goldfish memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Melvins Rock!

I Shall Mosh Again!

I'll check out Houdini so :D

O/T again: Faith No More were a money-spinner for Patton, and he did use that as a vehicle for Bungle (if I'm right, Patton told whatever label wanted to sign FNM that he wouldn't do it unless they signed Bungle too). That said I love FNM and Peeping Tom are pretty cool too - in Pattons words, if I listened to the radio, PT is the sort of thing I'd like to hear :P

Advertisement