Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 147 stereo

Options
  • 02-05-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anybody is familar with the stereo on the 2003 alfa romeo 147? I want to know if it is possible to connect my mp3 player to the back of it using the RCA cables connectors?

before i go pulling out the stereo for no reason!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I dont think it is possible neacy69 as there is no spare input's at the back of the Blaupunkt h/u.
    The only option is to use the AR iPod kit (or indeed an aftermarket one) to use the CD changer input on the h/u. This fools the h/u into thinking that the iPod connected is the boot changer. As a result, you 'lose' the boot changer in place of the iPod.

The nice thing about the AR iPod kit is that it replaces the silly card holder next to the cup holder above the aircon controls, so it integrates well and doesn't look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hmmm sound like a good idea how much do those cost? but not sure if i like the idea of losing my 10 disk CDC
    maybe I'll just pick up one of those wee fm transmitters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The FM transmitters aren't great in my experience (are they even legal).

Bear in mind that the antenna is outside the vehicle and fairly well screened against radio transmissions from within.

I've tried with my works vehicle (bloody tape decks!) with very limited success.

Edit: Oh wait, it's an Alfa. If it has the demister antenna you may be okay. Bloody awful for interference though, the FM band on my (6 month old) 156 back in the day was practically unusable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Those FM transmitters are crap (but they are legal now). The sound quality is woeful, and you'll have to change the frequency often unless you drive around the same town all day. Otherwise your Snow Patrol MP3s are gonna get drowned out by Big Tom's latest single on Tipp FM (don't laugh. It happens).

You've got a few options to play MP3s in your car. The cleanest way is to replace the changer with the MP3 player. This gives you full control of the MP3 player from the head unit and steering wheel controls, and the car will keep the MP3 player charged up. The interface is player specific, and you'll not have much luck getting hardware to support anything other than iPods. In fairness, if you've got 60GB of MP3s on a Video iPod in your car, you're not going to miss the same 10 CDs you've had in the boot changer since you bought the car, are you?

An other option is to connect an RCA or 3.5mm headphone cable to the AUX input connectors on the front or back of the head unit. Not all head units have them, and OEM units rarely do. It's cheap and doesn't effect your CD changer. The downside is that you need to control the iPod directly, so you can't hide it out of the way in the glove box or boot, and you need to charge the player through other means.

The last option is to forget about a standalone MP3 player and replace your head unit with one that'll play MP3s burned to CD-R disks. I had an Alpine in my Focus and it was very handy having 160+ tracks on one disk. It worked out as the neatest option for me as the factory fit head unit was a POS and had to be changed anyway.

Gary

Advertisement