Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Broadband Range Extender

Options
  • 02-05-2007 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

I have a standard Eircom Netopia wireless router at home for the broadband.

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/images/npp/photos/2247front.gif
    http://www.netopia.com/equipment/images/npp/photos/2247back.gif

The router is located in the hall near my front door. I tend to use my laptop in a room in the garden (about 25M away through a couple of walls), this is too far away to recieve the signal, the furthest away I can pick up the signal is just outside the back door.

Can anyone suggest a home remedy that might be able to boost the signal enough to pick it up in the other room ? I've tried moving the box to other pionts in the house etc to no avail, I've even tried wrapping the antennas in tinfoil and others like that.

Any suggestions that pervents me from having to buy larger antenna or a different router would be very much apperciated, the cheaper the solution the better obviously :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

One option would be to buy a wireless repeater for approx €100 or get one of these babies, connect it to the netopia and point it at the room you want signal in: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_IRL&pid=1343
    Shouldn't be more than about €25 IMO

For the real lifehacker in you try this site: http://www.techanvil.com/

There's even video instructions on how to assemble it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0uYtm-b3O4 (try to ignore the cheesy music at the start) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

shoutman wrote:

I was looking at this one alright, Its a wireless card is internal, i'm wondering if its cheaper to buy the antanna than the wireless usb adapter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This site, and others like it describe how to boost the range of usb adapters but the same principle would apply to the router. If you've a wok or something parabolic and metal at home you can set the router at roughly the focal point and reflect the signal in the direction of the garden.

It may help and you don't have to take anything apart but the router also has to be able to detect the signal from the wireless card in the laptop which is often the bigger problem.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A good antenna at the router will help it "hear" the wireless card more effectively. Antenna gain is reciprocal: if it improves transmit signal strength, it will improve receive sensitivity by precisely the same amount.

Bear in mind that increased gain isn't free. If you're increasing your gain in one direction (which is the whole point of a parabolic reflector) you're reducing it in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thanks there lads, I've been mucking about with a wok and a cheap usb adapter but i'm not having much luck. Ill let you know if I get anywhere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

got this link from the wireless forum, i have a eircom router myself and this works great, got signal to go from poor to good, give it a go its easy and really does work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You could flash the firmware with dd-wrt and then "overclock" the signal strength. worked for me but all routers aren't flashable. Lifehacker.com have posts about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

unscrew the antena on one of the wireless jobbie thingies, then tie some wire to it and leccy tape it to the inside of a pringles tube (which is lined with a foil). Then point it at where you want to send/recieve the signal.

Apparently it will boost the signal big time - i've seen it working, but have had no tests with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

alan4cult wrote:
    You could flash the firmware with dd-wrt and then "overclock" the signal strength. worked for me but all routers aren't flashable. Lifehacker.com have posts about this.
    illegal since it breaks EU eirp levels

and since it usually increases noise too not always a solution.

you could also get a wifi card with an external antenna too.

play around with the location of the router and horizontal / vertical / 45 degree angle on the antennas too - don't forget it may be easier to go through a ceiling or floor than a wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Pft this is tech stuff, not lifehacking!

Get a wok or a frying pan and place it about 6 inches behind the router, pointing at the place you want the signal extended to.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

There is a setting on my router(d-link) that allows you to change the strength of the signal output, is it possible that you ruoter could be set on a low signal stregnth?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is a setting on my router(d-link) that allows you to change the strength of the signal output, is it possible that you ruoter could be set on a low signal stregnth?
    EU power limits are far lower than US limits. More power only means better signal if there is no extra noise, otherwise you are just interfering with other people. Try other channels first or reflectors or change the orientation from horizontal to vertical etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Case Sensitive

Its not pretty, and not all that cheap, but it works.

Get a wireless usb dongle for your computer and a 10 meter extension cord. This should get you in range of your hub.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You need a cantenna.

6a94dcff36bf0500f97c65c95e0a55be.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I did that Windsurfer parabola thing a couple of days ago, seems to have boosted the signal a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Baza210 wrote: »
    I did that Windsurfer parabola thing a couple of days ago, seems to have boosted the signal a bit.

I tried it and my signal dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

red_ice wrote: »
    unscrew the antena on one of the wireless jobbie thingies, then tie some wire to it and leccy tape it to the inside of a pringles tube (which is lined with a foil). Then point it at where you want to send/recieve the signal.

Apparently it will boost the signal big time - i've seen it working, but have had no tests with it

Pringles cans internals are not metal, and don't give much boost to WiFi. You need to use a metal cylinder 3-4" diameter for best results. The longer the better.

Check: http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I tried it and my signal dropped!
    The precision of your aiming of the dish makes a big difference. My signal dropped too, then I went back upstairs, tilted it slightly and the signal rose.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Baza210 wrote: »
    The precision of your aiming of the dish makes a big difference. My signal dropped too, then I went back upstairs, tilted it slightly and the signal rose.
    That's the nature of the beast. You're not amplifying the signal, you're focusing it. The total power output stays the same, so if you're not in a place where the signal is better, you're probably in a place where it's worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement