Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car with lapsed tax

Options
  • 02-05-2007 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭

first off i know its late/early, still buzzing over liverpool win cant sleep

also went to look at that 530 i posted earlier, looks good and depending on price i may go for it, however it seems the tax is out since dec, if i buy it am i liable to tax it from then or just from when i buy it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

You are NOT liable for tax from a past-owner. Effectively nobody has to pay that tax. The thing is tho (And this caught me out last summer when I bought my first car), if you buy the car on 31st may for example, you will be liable to pay the car tax from 1st may, but if you wait a day and buy the car on 1st june, you are only liable from 1st june.. If you get me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

pretty sure you either

just go in to the tax office with its vlc cert and the change of ownership part filled in, they will tax the car (from that start of the current mounth) and post the cert for you,

or

the seller will post the cert to shannon for ya, and you will have to wait till you get it back to tax it, just have proof that you bought it reciently, then when you get the cert go into the tax office, and hand it in and they will tax it from the start of the month thats on the cert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Cyrus, if you do go check that Red 530i Sport out I would be really curious to know if indeed it was a UK import!! Let us know :)
    You are definitely not liable for the back tax. You are only liable for the tax while you own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the 530 was originally bought in the uk :) the owner moved to ireland and brought it with him and traded it to lambe and o connor. they then sold it on and took it back as a trade in later and sold it again, they now have it again!

effectively they have sold this car twice so are fully prepared to guarantee mileage and that it hasnt been crash damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

The tax disc is a good way to tell when the car was last used. December and it being a garage should be ok. However if it was a private seller and the tax had been out a year or so you may be getting into a world of trouble as you don't know what may have seized in that time.

• Advertisement

looks like i wont be buying that 530i anyway, lambe and o connor arent will to budge a whole a lot on an unrealistic price

Leave your realistic offer with them & tell them if it hasn't sold in a week or two to give you a ring.

i did, fingers crossed

There's always the UK anyway. There are loads of cars like this for sale, with even better specs, e.g sat nav, TV.
    A friend of mine in the trade always says to me "there's always another car".

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrandonBlock is spot on. For the new owner, tax is only due from the first day of the month he or she officially bought the car

• Advertisement
Advertisement