Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another lenient sentence

Options
  • 01-05-2007 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

A man convicted of dangerous driving, driving without insurance and causing the death of a 22-year-old woman gets 4 months in prison and a 12 month driving ban, WTF.

"A man who was involved in a fatal road collision has been jailed for four months after admitting charges of dangerous driving and driving without insurance.

Latvian national Pavels Desjatnikovs, who has an address in Lucan, admitted two offences which occurred on the M50 in December 2004 and claimed the life of a 22-year-old woman.

The Director of Public Prosecutions had directed Mr. Desjatnikovs, who is 30-years-old, to face a simple charge of dangerous driving after an engineers report suggested a difficulty with the brakes of his car. also had no insurance.

The collission happened on 28 December 2004 after he drove his car dangerously on the M50 and crossed over into oncoming traffic.

22-year-old Errin Cawley was driving her mother, brother and another young boy when they were hit by the car driven by Mr Desjatnikovs.

Errin was the eldest of three children.

The DPP had considered a full file in relation to the case after a number of witnesses came forward describing how Mr. Desjatnikovs had driven dangerously on the M50.

However there was also an engineers report suggesting a problem with the brakes of his car.

The court had also previously heard there had not been a crash barrier at that section of motorway.

Through his solicitor Mr. Desjatnikovs acknowledged he had caused great tragedy for the Cawley family.

As well as his four month prison sentence he was disqualified from driving for 12 months.

Errin's mother Betty, who was in the car with her daughter, was back in hospital today for further treatment related to her injuries and was informed by phone of the outcome of the court case."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0501/driving.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

DonJose wrote:
    an engineers report suggested a difficulty with the brakes of his car. also had no insurance.

Sound I will drive around with no insurance and zero car maintenance from now on, might change my name to Giannopopolis too, seems to be the way forward :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

DonJose wrote:
    A man convicted of dangerous driving, driving without insurance and causing the death of a 22-year-old woman gets 4 months in prison and a 12 month driving ban, WTF.

Annoying the politicians canvassing instead of posting this stuff would be a more beneficial method of advancing your points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A tenner says he was driving a left hand drive on LV plates :mad: Absolute joke of a sentance. The irony of the judge actually reducing this pricks sentance due to the fact his brakes were poor....overlooking the fact he was probably driving an absolute shítbox that has never been insured, taxed or NCT'd in Ireland. So thats grand then, lets not bother with any of those and if we cause an accident we can point to the mitigating circumstances of same.

They must be having a right old laugh at us here in Ireland. I actually saw a Dominos pizza delivery lad on Saturday night driving a dirtbox Renault 19 on Polski plates, left hand drive. I wonder if we sent a few skangers in Starlet Galanzas over to [insert random eastern european country here] how long would they last before the local federáles would have their car confiscated?

This country is a joke. I'm just waiting for my local TD to knock in for a 'chat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

WTF, 4 months? He (and his toss car) caused someone to die, words can't describe what punishment this sh!tbag deserves. With any luck he'll be 'welcomed' appropriately inside. I too shall be welcoming any TD's at my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Does this mean he'll be out in 2 months if he behaves himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

no wonder the country is full of em,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

old boy wrote:
    no wonder the country is full of em,
    full of who? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Come on KB.. you know what he meant...

Whilst I agree there's no need for "generalisations" (or the R-word if you prefer), when you hear of cases like the above, is it any wonder certain elements of our growing multicultural society develop a bad name in the eyes of the natives.

Of course the judge in this case is equally at fault, as is a system that allows a lot of these left-hand drive, non-taxed, (possibly) mechanically unsound, (possibly) uninsured cars and drivers roam around our already dangerous roads.

All the PC-ness in the world won't change the fact that these things DO happen and that this is an issue that needs urgent attention.

6%* of Irish drivers have no insurance but you hear sweet FA about that!
    I do get tired of listening to people spouting about foreign drivers and don't place the same emphasis for the same crimes on Irish drivers

* source
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2006/1018/1160606730780.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

kbannon wrote:
    I do get tired of listening to people spouting about foreign drivers and don't place the same emphasis for the same crimes on Irish drivers
    I for one spout about about foreign scumbags and Irish scumbags. I spouted out about those scumbag boyracers from Galway and I also spouted out about that Lithuanian drunken scumbag who knocked down and killed 3 people while out of his head. So your argument is out of the f*ucking window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I was in court today (guys dont make this thread into a WHY was i in court thread, we will leave that for another day)

The judge was so easy going he gave people with no insurance or tax 1000 euro fine and a ban for 12 months.I person was told by the judge if he had the power he was strike it out as it was a young girl (21) with a small kid.But he said he would just give her 700 fine and she has to pay in 3 months :eek:

In my opinion thats very lenient and most of them were romanians/ foreigners so they really dont care, they will just start driving again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kbannon wrote:
    6%* of Irish drivers have no insurance but you hear sweet FA about that!

* source
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2006/1018/1160606730780.html
    Do you have a source for the non-national % that arent insured if you want to balance the argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Sizzler wrote:
    Do you have a source for the non-national % that arent insured if you want to balance the argument?

yeah you are right, it would be ALOT more non nationals then irish`

DonJose wrote:
    So your argument is out of the f*ucking window.
    When was I arguing and what was my argument?
    drdre wrote:
    yeah you are right, it would be ALOT more non nationals then irish`
    Do you want to try that post again?

Sizzler wrote:
    Yes Kbannon I'd like you to see you "balance the argument".

kbannon wrote:
    When was I arguing and what was my argument?

OK, I'll replace argument with statement.
    kbannon wrote:

I have no qualms about spouting about scumbags, be they foreign or Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

For balance: some guy from a Luthuanian club/group/society was on the radio a while back (after that bad crash in Cork) and he reckoned at least 50% of Lithuanians driving in Ireland have no insurance.

From my own personal experience, I would say the figure is probably about 80% for former Eastern-bloc nationals.

Sizzler wrote:
    Im not trying to put forward any kind of argument. I merely stated that people are quick to jump on the 'foreigners' bandwagon and are generally not as critical on natives doing the same.
    I am aware that the stats kept in this country are rubbish. Im aware that the enforcement is as bad. Im aware that 'foreign' drivers have high statistics in terms of traffic fatalities (I'm not aware of any other stats - are you?). Like many of you I would presume that they have not registered with the VRO nor have they valid insurance. I never condoned any of it. I do have a problem with posts saying the usual bigoted crap like "no wonder the country is full of em,"
    DonJose wrote:
    I have no qualms about spouting about scumbags, be they foreign or Irish.
    Im genuinely happy for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

The judicial system in this country is insane. I know of a man who killed a pedestrian while drink driving, no insurance, + didn't even own the car (wasn't stolen though) and he got off with a suspended sentence and 2 year driving ban. This was a good few years ago mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,134 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

4 months for killing someone.

You can do the same time for not paying your TV license or protesting against a gas pipe in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,831 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote:
    4 months for killing someone.

You can do the same time for not paying your TV license

It seems a shockingly lenient sentence. I particularly have issue with the fact that a technical problem with the brakes was a mitigating factor. Let's call a spade a spade. The dude is resident here. His car should have been registered, VRTd and thus NCTd here. That way the chance of having faulty brakes would be reduced. He should have paid tax and he should have had insurance. He deserves at least the punishment he got for these offences alone

On the other hand, had there been a central reservation on the M50 (like in any other country in the civilised world), no one would have died. I feel the authorities are responsible to a much higher extent for the death of this young woman than the dangerous driver himself

The sentences being dished out vary so much. 15 year old boy racer crashes car, kills his 2 passengers, gets 6 years (see link below). The Latvian fella who was charged with dangerous driving, no insurance, killing 1 person, he gets 4 months imprisonment. A Lithuanian drink driver, mows down and kills 3 people and he only gets 3 years. Talk about inconsistant sentencing in Ireland. They should have mandatory sentences in Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0420/naughtond.html

unkel wrote:
    I feel the authorities are responsible to a much higher extent for the death of this young woman than the dangerous driver himself
    Thats not true, he could have as easily crossed lanes on a country or national road where there are no central reservations. The driver of any car should be responsible for its upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,831 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DonJose wrote:
    Thats not true, he could have as easily crossed lanes on a country or national road where there are no central reservations

He wasn't driving on a country or national road. He was driving on a motorway. All motorways should have central reservations. If that stretch of the M50 had had a central reservation, no one probably would have died

I agree with you that sentences seem to vary to a great extent. We should realise thought that we are only getting some of the details of the cases through the media

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

LOL this is gas:

2 Galway fella's get done for speeding and get 4 months

A man kill's a woman on the M50 because his car was in such a state he couldn't even stop and he gets 4 months also

Seems fair :rolleyes:

Advertisement