Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop processor

Options
  • 01-05-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new Dell laptop, scanning the dell website , an intel dual core processor is 80 euros more expensive than a Mobile AMD SempronTM processor 3500+ one -- what will a dual processor give me over the standard AMD one -- i assume its worth forking out the extra 80 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

There is a laptop forum isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

yes intel is worth the extra is allot better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yes the intel one is the one you should go for. Multicore helps with multitasking and the core architechture is alot more effecieant resulting in better battery life/less heat produced meaning a quieter laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

thebaz wrote:
    i assume its worth forking out the extra 80 .

Not necessarily.

It all depends on what you want to do with the laptop. If you are doing nothing more than Internet, mp3's and office applications, then the cheaper processor would do the job.

If you are doing something more demanding, such as ripping DVDs, the dual core is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

tom dunne wrote:
    Not necessarily.

It all depends on what you want to do with the laptop. If you are doing nothing more than Internet, mp3's and office applications, then the cheaper processor would do the job.

If you are doing something more demanding, such as ripping DVDs, the dual core is well worth it.

use photoshop a bit, and want to get lightroom for photography -- won't be ripping dvds, cd's yes but the cheaper version should be fine for this.
    Adobe products , use a fair bit of memory , so wanted to up memory on current laptop -- current dell inspiron is 3 years old -- so for 560 i can get new one -- i don't plan to use on battery much !

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement