Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

windscreen claims & insurance

Options
  • 01-05-2007 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I've heard some stories about the insurance companies taking windscreen claims into account when quoting (despite the fact that the claim was made originally on the basis that it didnt affect ncb, etc.).

Anybody here verify this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

what insurance company are you with, hibernian do it for free.and its doesnt affect no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Windscreen claims don't affect your NCB if you stay with the same company. However I've heard that it gets listed on the NCB certificate that you're given to take to other companies, so other companies might use this as an excuse not to accept your NCB.

Stark wrote:
    Windscreen claims don't affect your NCB if you stay with the same company. However I've heard that it gets listed on the NCB certificate that you're given to take to other companies, so other companies might use this as an excuse not to accept your NCB.

I as told by hibernian that thats not the same and i made sure about that before i made the claim.I dont know about the other insurers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

drdre wrote:
    what insurance company are you with
    I'm with FBD. Windscreen needs replacing but I don't know whether I should go down this road. Theres no point in being tied to the one insurer as a result of getting uncompetitive quotes from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I got a new windscreen on my Hibernian Direct TPFT policy (with windscreen option) a few months ago I asked the Hibernian Rep on the phone if it would "appear on the annual NCB certificate" he said no. But after reading this thread...I won't know for sure until I get renewal time comes around in June

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I got my NCB cert from FBD after I had claimed for my drivers side window and there was no sign of it on the paperwork

FX Meister wrote:
    I got my NCB cert from FBD after I had claimed for my drivers side window and there was no sign of it on the paperwork

but thats FBD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

drdre wrote:

dre, do you read threads in their entirety?

The OP never specified an insurer, so was looking for feedback on 'all' insurers, so FX's reply is valid (more so than yours!) :)

To the OP, I was told it doesn't affect NCB and wouldn't be noted on a cert (I'm with Hibernian). I've had to get a replacement this week myself after a weekend trip. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I've had to get both front door windows replaced this year as a result of break-ins. When I got my no-claims statement along with my renewal a couple of weeks ago, it did mention the glass claim on it, although it still said I had a full no-claims discount.

What company were you with?

My worry is that I've heard of people taking those NCB certificates to other companies, and even though it was a full NCB from your original company's point of view, other insurance companies counted it as void. Sort of like how a protected NCB is only valid for your own insurance company if you make a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

did the op not say he is with fbd so therefore fx's comment relates to the op if the op claims and wants to move at the renewal dat the claim wont affect his ncb as from previous situation

I think it would be a good idea to hear the story for many insurance companies. Sort of a "name and shame" thread if you will :) I'm with Quinn Direct myself at the moment and it would be interesting to know if they'd screw me over should I try to claim for glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

As far as i know windscreen cover is not automatically covered with Quinn, you have to request it as an optional extra, hence their premiums can be alot cheaper then other companies but you may not have the same benefits

I have the optional windscreen cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stark wrote:
    I think it would be a good idea to hear the story for many insurance companies. Sort of a "name and shame" thread if you will :) I'm with Quinn Direct myself at the moment and it would be interesting to know if they'd screw me over should I try to claim for glass.
    Ditto.. mine needs replacing (probably) too (again - 2nd time since August .. damn crappy roads in Meath) and I'd rather cough up the €200 in cash than run into bother down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm with AIG, through the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭maidhc

It does not affect your NCB in anyway whatsoever. I asked HiB this question earlier in the year.

If you do like to be neurotic and ultra cautious you could get your windscreen replaced in the final dying hours of your policy, after you have left the company. I did this. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got my windscreen replaced Last Yr while with AXA.
    It did appear on the NCB Cert but I still had the Bonus.
    I changed to FBD Later that year and they took no notice of the Windscreen claim.

I had paid FBD fully for my policy before sending the cert and did not hear anything more.

Mik

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Stark wrote:
    Windscreen claims don't affect your NCB if you stay with the same company.

Not always true!!

I was with AXA and @ renewal time my notice came in the Post.
    It seemed a bit steep so I rang and gave all my details for a new quote
    the postal renewal was €645 euros dearer than what I got quoted on the phone!!

And guess what the price of the replaced windscreen was??..
    €635 (prob a €10 admin fee added :D )

I promptly told them this and I got my renewal quote reduced, but I swithced to FBD because of this scam

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

drdre wrote:
    Did you read baguio's post?
    Baguio wrote:
    I'm with FBD. Windscreen needs replacing but I don't know whether I should go down this road. Theres no point in being tied to the one insurer as a result of getting uncompetitive quotes from the rest.
    Yesterday 22:01

• Advertisement

So baguio what route did you take, Did you go through the insurance company and what did they say.Is it a claim ir not?

Advertisement