Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car impounded...

Options
  • 01-05-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

So I'm playin for me footy team last nite when the manager shouts onto the pitch "Sav is that your car" and sure enough away in the distance I see 2 cops beside a nice big truck with my wheels on the back of it. Bearing in mind I was in the middle of a league game, couldn't just run over at the time.

There was no double yellow nor continous white line, the road is a small residential area that gets clogged up everytime there's matches being played in the park.

My initial thought was that "the tax is out since end or March" but I thought it was pretty harsh to be impounded and I was cursing the gardai all night for being opportunist feckers, and surely a ticket would've sufficed.

But low and behold I get to Santry pound this morning withtax etc up to date, turns out one of the residents took exception to all these cars on their road and rang the cops. I don't think I was causing any kind of obstruction but where mad residents are concerned I suppose I was happy they didnt slash all the bloody tyres.

So anyway, I head into the car pound, explained everything and the Garda let me take the car away without any impound charge, which is €125 + €35 per day. I have to say, the guy was fairly sound and I came away thinking to myself "fair play".

I was expecting some snotty condescending templemore graduate to treat me like a criminal. But I got the opposite and next time I'll not park near any aul biddy's house nor will I let the tax run out by more than a day or so.

A little courtesy goes a long way folks.

/happy ending

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Was it a private road or something? causing an obstruction? seems odd it went straight on the back of a lorry - though Ive no real experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

We all park there all the time and there was a dozen other cars there. Tis a small road and we're always wary of causing obstruction but usually there's no problems. Maybe one of the residents got themselves a new articulated lorry:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Savman wrote:
    We all park there all the time and there was a dozen other cars there. Tis a small road and we're always wary of causing obstruction but usually there's no problems. Maybe one of the residents got themselves a new articulated lorry:rolleyes:

its not what you know, or who you know, but your maximum load handling capacity :p

didnt sound too painful in the end - coulda been alot worse alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Where is this place? Sounds amazing, no double white lines, no "no parking signs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If your car was legally parked I would contact the Garda Ombudsman about it as they had no right to move it and you could sue their asses. Bear in mind though that if one of the wheels was on the path it was parked illegally.

Edit..Are you saying your tax was upto date or you made it upto date, if it was out since March they were right to tow it away as it's illegal for an untaxed car to be in a public place and it can be seized once it's out of date by 30 days.

• Advertisement

No tax was out when it was towed, so I knew I had no argument there.;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Savman wrote:
    No tax was out when it was towed, so I knew I had no argument there.;);)

:D , ah well atleast she got back to you with no extra euros having to be passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Tipsy Mac wrote:

Edit..Are you saying your tax was upto date or you made it upto date, if it was out since March they were right to tow it away as it's illegal for an untaxed car to be in a public place and it can be seized once it's out of date by 30 days.
    I thought they could only seize it after it was three months out of date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

blastman wrote:

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 45,062 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Bear in mind though that if one of the wheels was on the path it was parked illegally.

I thought that was only enforcable on public, non-residential roads. I thought you were allowed to park with two wheels on the kerb/path in an estate. If not, i'll have to find a new place to park my car....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Savman wrote:

If an articulated lorry might not have been able to pass then maybe the fire brigade may also have been unable to pass, if this was the case then fair enough that they moved the car. Expect to see double lines in the next few weeks, some councilor standing in the general election will see to it...

Linford wrote:
    If an articulated lorry might not have been able to pass then maybe the fire brigade may also have been unable to pass, if this was the case then fair enough that they moved the car.
    Aye thats fair enough, just hope it really is the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭event

so the gardai let him off without paying the fine, yet people want him to sue them?

Hmm not a bad idea might get a few quid...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blastman wrote:

Nope. They can seize once it's out of date, the 3 months is a bit of lee way used by the Gardai otherwise they'd have all the impound yards full at the start of the month. Brother in law had van out of tax a week going through a checkpoint and they treatened to take van off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So did they say why they towed you?
    Tauren wrote:
    I thought that was only enforcable on public, non-residential roads. I thought you were allowed to park with two wheels on the kerb/path in an estate. If not, i'll have to find a new place to park my car....
    Hang you head in shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

3 month thing isnt just a lee way thing. it had to be up 3months before it could be seized, its droped to 2 months now though.

must also have the keys for it to be seized, ie cant be seized if its parked on the road with tax out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They can also remove your car if you are causing an obstruction, across a driveway etc.

anyone can move your car if your ausing an obstruction. if i was parked and another car blocked me in, i would be perfectly within my rights to get a third car/jeep/truck and drag the offending car out of the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement