Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS problem

Options
  • 01-05-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I've a 2001 Hyundai Accent and when I press the brakes it feels as if something is pushing against my foot and there is a loud noise. It doesn't happen all the time but is usually when I'm going quite slow and braking to stop completely.
    I went to two mechanics who couldn't see anything wrong with the brakes so I then went to a hyundai mechanic who told me that the noise was due to a faulty ABS sensor which was rubbing against the driveshaft and that both parts needed to be replaced at a cost of €900.
    The general consensus from friends is that the driveshaft is quite large so an ABS sensor should not be able to damage it so I went back the non hyundai mechanic and asked him just to replace the sensor which he did and it has made no difference. He didn't mention anything about the driveshaft being damaged which surely he would have.
    Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to Motors.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know what the cause is - maybe there is nothing wrong - but I hope you didn't pay the Hyundai dealer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the car it self is hardly worth a grand. best bet it to google for some answers or use a breakers yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This sounds like what I have. A wonky speed sensor. New sensors cos a bomb but a breakers should able to get you one.

Does the pulsing feedback only happen at about 5-10 mph at moderate braking pressure then disapear just before you come to a stop?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like the ABS is kicking in when there is no need. Have the trigger wheel checked in case it has dirt caught in it. Dirt is a common fault with ABS sensors/triggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gill25

mike65 wrote:
    This sounds like what I have. A wonky speed sensor. New sensors cos a bomb but a breakers should able to get you one.

Does the pulsing feedback only happen at about 5-10 mph at moderate braking pressure then disapear just before you come to a stop?

Mike.

In general it starts off as a faint ticking sound which gradually gets louder. This is before I even touch the brake, then we I brake I feel the push against me. It usually stops if I take my foot off and brake again. Sometimes though the push remains until the car stops.
    The noise isn't always there but I've heard it at all speeds. The push is more common at low speeds. Quite hard to explain, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gill25

crosstownk wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like the ABS is kicking in when there is no need. Have the trigger wheel checked in case it has dirt caught in it. Dirt is a common fault with ABS sensors/triggers.

A friend of mine also thought that it sounded like the ABS coming on when there was no need and I said that to the mechanic. Surely one of the three mechanics I got to look at it would have checked for dirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ticking sound might be the ABS control unit working away. If so, I'm surprised as you are not breaking at the time. Can ABS units get scambled brians? If so can it be cleared?

Mike.

Advertisement