Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting new laptop- advice needed

Options
  • 01-05-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

hi, first post in this forum, im looking for advice on which laptop i should get currently considering 2 different dell laptops see here

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_good?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

looking at the one for 499 and one for 579.

i havent a clue about specs on notebooks but the basic use for this product shall be using microsoft office applications, internet use, watching dvds and storing music and files. that is all.

i was told by a friend that a 1024mb ram should operate windows vista without any problems is this is the case?

would greatly appreciate any advice on which one to go for!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Windows Vista is bloated and memory hungry...for every one program icon you see in your task bar theres a ton of background services running you dont see...we have seen a few vista desktops and laptops now that we ordered for customers and I would definately recommend 2GB Ram for it and a bloody good processor and a good graphics card! Otherwise Get Windows XP as its less intensive on the resources, and when tweaked right can run well on basic systems as well as high end rigs.
    So to answer your question...I would go for the €579 and change it to XP Home..thats my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For what you want, the 1501 with 1Gb of memory would suffice.

I agree with majiktripp and the 2Gb of memory - if you can afford it, go for it. If not, it's no big deal, you will manage with 1Gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

thanks im going to go for the one for 579 and get xp on it. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Good choice! your not missing anything with vista...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

thanks im going to go for the one for 579 and get xp on it. cheers
    Vista Basic is essentially XP SP2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Whats a high CPU usage?

I have Vista Home Premium on 1GB RAM and i find it OK so far. Ive had XP Home, Windows 2000 and 98 as well but they were on desktops. I dont think i know enough about computers to be able to see some things anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hey guys,
    I'm just going thru the 'Customise and buy' for the 'Inspiron 1501' at €549 on the Dell site ... I've upgraded to a 9 cell battery but I don't want WIndows Vista ... How do I tell these guys I only want, say, Windows XP ...
    Thanks in advance ...

Advertisement