Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Question

Options
  • 01-05-2007 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Have a VW Golf 04.....Now sometimes when I use clutch or when breaking I hear what seems to be a set of china plates clattering of each other in boot. Well it sounds like there is a nut vibrating or something....Does my head in...I have only started to notice it of late because of good weather and when window is down.

So anyone tell me what the noise is and should I be worried...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the noise is coming from the rear when you press the brakes it could be that your rear brake pads are worn. Depressing the clutch shouldn't cause any odd sounds from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

have you put new wheels on at all recently or change your wheels around at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Got a new tyre about 6 months ago,due to the fact the wife hit a kerb and tyre bubbled. Was advised the others were close to the required depth, so got another two new ones last week and brought the spare into action.

crosstownk wrote:
    If the noise is coming from the rear when you press the brakes it could be that your rear brake pads are worn. Depressing the clutch shouldn't cause any odd sounds from the rear.

Just one of those noises that gets on your nerves,as I said its like a bunch of plates in boot, like a stone hopping off a plate but duller pitched sound,well it seems to be coming from rear. Only got it serviced a while ago also. Will checkout pads tomorrow but sound does come when I use cluth and changing down the gears. Just thought can hear it faintly when I accelerate a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sounds very much like your rear brake pads are completely worn and the sound you are hearing is the bare metal of the brake pad rubbing against the metal brake disc.

• Advertisement

While driving car today noticed noise without braking,it comes when I take foot off accelerator or while I'm in neutral and I rev it,it only comes when car warms up. Happened across a mechanic I knew and it said its either the Baffler gone that goes into catalytic converter Or its a bracket under gearbox vibrating which is missing a screw or bracket has snapped....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - it does sound like an exhaust silencer. There is also a good chance that it may be the catalytic convertor. Sometimes the honeycomb monolith inside the casing comes adrift. A loose cat usually sounds like 'stones inside an empty can of coke'. If it's happening when the car is stopped then it's definitely not you rear brake pads.

Advertisement