Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company lied

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Hi to all,

I'm insured with QD fully comp. I wanted to test drive a car for a day, around 28 hours in total. I rang Quinn, gave them my details and the details of the car I wanted to temporarily insure. The girl on the phone assured me that there would be no charge.

Naturally, I went ahead and got the car from the seller for a test drive. Before driving away, I rang Quinn and asked that the new car be temporarily added to the policy. I was told that this would now cost €51. I told her that I was told the previous hour that there would be NO charge for the change, but she was adamant and said I had to pay up within 10 days. What should I do?

I don't mind paying, I'm just really annoyed that I was told it was free and then told it would cost? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Make a complaint. Dont let them away with that one. They may be one of the cheapest but I heard they are cnuts for paying out on claims. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm also with QD, I had to change insurance to my mam's car today to do my driving test, i'm only covered TPFT on my own and to increase the cover to fully comp on her car was a flat 51 euro. This seems to be a standard fee, the first person you talked to probably didnt know. Hardly think they would lie about something like that. Either way you should ring them back, they probably have the call recorded and you wont have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's possible that there is no charge to change car details - but if the substitute car is of different value then there may be an increase in the premium to allow for this. That said, most insurance companies will do a temporary substitution for free, but if you drive a Polo and want to subsitute to a BMW for a while there may be a charge to cover the increased risk that the BMW poses.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€51 is a rip off for a task that takes less than a minute to do over the phone. Nothing surprises me though with Quinn Direct, they make their money from being a bit cheaper for young or inexperienced drivers but make it up in services like this.

I have often had to transfer my insurance over to another car when mine was in the garage for a service. I was never charged for this by my insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Don't work for QD or anything, but I'm guessing that the first girl thought you wanted a temporary change to the new car, which is free. You then requested a "temporary additional vehicle", meaning two cars on the policy at once, as opposed to switching cover off the original car and on to the new one. Hence the additional charge.

Just a guess, I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have to say that I find Quinn direct the fairest and quickest insurance company to deal with from a repairers point of view, in fact, I prefer them to any other insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

junkyard wrote:
    I have to say that I find Quinn direct the fairest and quickest insurance company to deal with from a repairers point of view, in fact, I prefer them to any other insurance company.

Yep - they'll even write you the cheque before work starts - but if additional damage is discovered then things can bog down. I've experienced this on one or two occasions recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

crosstownk wrote:
    Yep - they'll even write you the cheque before work starts - but if additional damage is discovered then things can bog down. I've experienced this on one or two occasions recently.

The secret is to make sure you find the additional damage before you agree to do the job. I remember getting caught many years ago like this and the motor assessor I was dealing with wouldn't agree to pay for extra work needed to finish the job. Well I got caught on that one but I can assure you he payed dearly for that one many times over.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

junkyard wrote:
    ... but I can assure you he payed dearly for that one many times over.:)

...ahem, I think you mean WE there, Junkyard.............ins co's don't pay for anything, it's the policyholders..............all you did there was put up mine, yours (and everyone else's...) insurance, later............that's what got is in the insurance mess we're in as it is.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hibernian is free for a temporary switch (Through my broker)

For permanent change the broker wanted 30 and Hibernian wanted 30.

Oh Well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hal1 wrote:
    Make a complaint. Dont let them away with that one. They may be one of the cheapest but I heard they are cnuts for paying out on claims. :\

Nope, they are the quickest for paying out on claims. About a week on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

maoleary wrote:
    Hi to all,

I'm insured with QD fully comp. I wanted to test drive a car for a day, around 28 hours in total. I rang Quinn, gave them my details and the details of the car I wanted to temporarily insure. The girl on the phone assured me that there would be no charge.

Naturally, I went ahead and got the car from the seller for a test drive. Before driving away, I rang Quinn and asked that the new car be temporarily added to the policy. I was told that this would now cost €51. I told her that I was told the previous hour that there would be NO charge for the change, but she was adamant and said I had to pay up within 10 days. What should I do?

I don't mind paying, I'm just really annoyed that I was told it was free and then told it would cost? Any ideas?

That seems a lot for a one day temporary change. I had my policy with Quinn up until a few weeks ago, I changed my car to a 2003 BMW 325Ci and they refused to insure it, but as there was about 2 weeks left before my old poicy expired they agreed to a temporary change of car on the policy. They charged me €54 for this privelage, but the car is worth €20k more and has an engine twice the size of my old car, so I thought it fair enough.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, do you have a full licence?

Im with QD fully comp and a full licence, and im insured (allbeit 3rd party) to drive any other car without any additional charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hibernian Direct charge €15 admin charge for temporary subs.

If you do it yourself and amend your policy online however, it's FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think it is a minimum charge with Quinn Direct.

I was getting my Audi serviced in Fosters and they offered me a Jetta while it was being done, free of charge.

I had to insure it myself so I phoned Quinn and asked for it for 24 hours and they quoted €51. Fosters then told me that the car would be ready in two hours so I phoned Quinn back. They said that €51 is the minimum charge and as the change has already been made, they would have to charge the €51 even if they changed it back.

For two hours courtesy car, I would have been easier getting a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I'm with quinn also and i have done a couple of temporary insurance transfers in teh last year. in fact i rang three times one week to extend the temporary cover on the same car, and no charge was requested by Quinn.
    Are those who are getting charged taking fully comp when temp transferring. i was only taking 3rd party F&T which mite be the reason i wasn't charged. Do you need to have comp cover to test drive a car from a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I have fully comp so I just requested that all the features of my existing policy be carried over.

The garage had told me the value of the car for insurance so I presume they expected me to go fully comp.

I have since changed to AIB Car Insurance.

Advertisement