Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 Polo

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Heres the details
    97 VW Polo 1L
    Taxed 06/07 NCT 02/08
    72k 2 prev owners
    €2100

Any thoughts yes/no not with a barge pole??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If thats a private sale, I would ask for €300 - €400 off. If its from a garage get a 6 month warranty. Sounds like an alright motor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I sold mine last may and could only get €1900 for it, decent condition outside for the age, crack on the bumper, very well kept inside, 76K, alloys, remote central locking and alarm. Seems a little on the high side in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say it'd be an ok car too. It'd be nice if it had a service history. Polos can give small amounts of bother - but nothing too serious and can be easily fixed. Haggle as best you can - but I don't see any one reason as to why you should steer clear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Dont mean to hijack but if you had the option of buying from a garage or a private seller which would you go for?
    Sounds good to me OP, maybe haggle for a couple of hundred off as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I sold a 1996 polo 2 weeks ago for 1950.Polos are easy to sel so dont bargain too much that he tells you to bugger off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cos 10 year old Polos are so desirable now. Not having power steering was never so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I sold a 99 5 door 1.0 litre with 47k miles and 2 years NCT, a nice clean car for 2700 euros so I'd say there's room to haggle too. The only problem I've encountered with them is the gearbox and a few with water leaks. Oh, by the way newby.204, I'd regard anyone who goes shooting bunny rabbits for fun or sport a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Hal1 wrote:
    If thats a private sale, I would ask for €300 - €400 off. If its from a garage get a 6 month warranty. Sounds like an alright motor. :)

Its a garage. Local enough to me 20/30 min drive, ill ask for the warranty and try be cheaky, maybe offer 2k cash on the spot???

junkyard wrote:
    I sold a 99 5 door 1.0 litre with 47k miles and 2 years NCT, a nice clean car for 2700 euros so I'd say there's room to haggle too. The only problem I've encountered with them is the gearbox and a few with water leaks. Oh, by the way newby.204, I'd regard anyone who goes shooting bunny rabbits for fun or sport a weirdo.

Ref: emboldened text
    Whilst this is a motor thread and i want help for my questions, ill take that in good sport and say its neither for fun or sport its vermin control. if you wish to debate me further come over to the shooting thread! P.S. i appreciate your advice junkyard and i do take it in good sport!!!

newby.204 wrote:
    Its a garage. Local enough to me 20/30 min drive, ill ask for the warranty and try be cheaky, maybe offer 2k cash on the spot???

thats not cheeky.Its only 100 off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

If it's a garage and you're doing a cash deal, offer him €1800. Have it prepared, he'll probably say something like "€1900 and we have a deal". Garages like cash deals, they can fiddle the books easier ;) Sounds like a decent car.

I thought about offering 1800 up front but thought that might be taking the
    p1ss!!:D thanks for the advice lads imj going over to have a look at it tommorow after work! ill let ye know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Don't be afraid to haggle!! The worst that can happen is they say "no". It's not the end of the world like :)

newby.204 wrote:
    p1ss!!:D thanks for the advice lads imj going over to have a look at it tommorow after work! ill let ye know how it goes

I got a 00 for 2700 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,134 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

newby.204 wrote:

If you don't try you will never know. Remember Polos of this vintage are plentiful, don't be afraid to walk away if the price is not right. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

I would start by offering €1,700.

Advertisement