Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get rid of a car?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just back from the Fiat garage. My 98 Cinquecento SX has been giving me a lot of trouble recently and I brought it to get fixed.

They tell me the head gasket is gone and the engine is partially seized. It's still running (albeit a bit roughly) but they say there is no point trying to fix it.

Anyway I was just looking for some advice on what to do to sell it for a measly sum or get it taken away. Despite the engine being crocked it has a very low mileage (20k) and is in very good condition in terms of parts (other than the engine obviously:). It's not a great car to begin with though so I doubt there would be much demand for parts etc.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get rid of it (preferably for a small sum of money) would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 V8Man

blobert wrote:
    Any suggestions on what I can do to get rid of it (preferably for a small sum of money) would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Give it to someone for free. It won't be your problem anymore...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

1. put it in a car auction, probably get €100 but at least it'll be gone.

2. advertise on adverts.ie or buyandsell, probably get €200

3. find a replacement engine and get it fixed. probably get €1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some crazy person will take it off your hands for nominal money.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Well you'll get around 1,200 if it was running perfectly so it all depends on how much it costs to get a replacement engine fitted.
    Throw it in the buy and sell for next to nothing and hope for the best (or I think if your buying a new car you may be able to get money for scrapage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

mike65 wrote:
    Some crazy person will take it off your hands for nominal money.

Mike.

HI:D

Interested in the car nct or tax?

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Volvoboy wrote:
    HI:D

Interested in the car nct or tax?

-VB-

Both, NCT for at least another year and a half I think, and taxed till end of the year.

It's in pretty good condition as I said and has not been used that much (hence the 20k miles in 8-9 years). Always started first time till recently, now takes a bit of revving to get going in the mornings:)

Might put an ad up on adverts with a few pictures tmw.

Is looking for €200 unrealistic? Like I said I mostly just want rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

blobert wrote:
    Hello,

Just back from the Fiat garage. My 98 Cinquecento SX has been giving me a lot of trouble recently and I brought it to get fixed.

They tell me the head gasket is gone and the engine is partially seized. It's still running (albeit a bit roughly) but they say there is no point trying to fix it.

Anyway I was just looking for some advice on what to do to sell it for a measly sum or get it taken away. Despite the engine being crocked it has a very low mileage (20k) and is in very good condition in terms of parts (other than the engine obviously:). It's not a great car to begin with though so I doubt there would be much demand for parts etc.

Thanks

It is more trouble than it is worth i am afraid. No time for FIATS, it is not worth anything to be honest. It would cost more to fix than it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You could PM "Interceptor" here on boards, he seems to collect and fix up Fiats so might be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

logik wrote:
    It is more trouble than it is worth i am afraid. No time for FIATS, it is not worth anything to be honest. It would cost more to fix than it is worth.

so true. i would take it from ya but you would have to drop it down to me. I wont charge you anything!!!

Ok guys, I've placed an ad on the adverts site, complete with lots of photos of the newly washed vehicle:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=22810

Hopefully someone will pay me a small ammount, or if not, just take it away for free.

Can someone take me through the process of actually selling: Do I give them the log book? Do I have to fill in any forms?

Thanks for all the help,
    Robert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

You could always just get it scrapped, although that would cost you, as opposed to getting you money, however small. It'll only cost you €30-€50 though, just for the towing.

I don't know where you are, but if you're in Dublin, DCC will tow an end-of-life vehicle for €30, but "no time or date of collection can be given". I sent mine to Thorntons Recycling, who are (one of) the Authorised Treatment Facilities, and they charged €50 for the towing. If I'd driven it there myself it'd have been free, obviously. My poor little Suzuki was utterly dead though, so not an option :) Under the new directive they can't charge you for the actual scrapping.

Thanks,

Can someone take me through the process of actually selling: Do I give them the log book? Do I have to fill in any forms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The car should have a green slip, just sign the bottom, new owners signs and puts in their details and post it off! You'll need to hand over NCT cert, disc and tax disc stay with the car and you take your insurance cert and disc back. Simple as that.

Oh, and any service history manuals etc. will stay with the vehicle if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,830 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrianD3 wrote:
    You could PM "Interceptor" here on boards

That was my first thought too. He'll probably stick an old Alfa 3.0 V6 engine in it and drive it across fields at 200km/h :D :cool:

The car should have a green slip, just sign the bottom, new owners signs and puts in their details and post it off!

Thanks, Where do I post it off to?

Address is on the ownership form itself. Vehicle Registration Unit, in Shannon.

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

put it into neutral and drive it over a cliff tbh.......

legs11 wrote:
    put it into neutral and drive it over a cliff tbh.......

You drive your car in neutral!?!

I know what ya ment:D

-VB-

After a quick rummage I have found two documents: A Vehicle Licencing Certificate (From Dublin Corporation) and a Vehicle Registration Certificate (from the Revenue Commissioners). Both have forms to fill in for changing ownership but the Revenue one says to fill in only if selling PRIOR TO FIRST LICENSING so I'm guessing that one does not apply or need to be given over?

Oh, and do I take charge for posting off the bottom half of the Green Certificate to Shannon? And do I keep the top half or give it to the buyer?

I'm new to this! Thanks

It's self explanatory when you read the documentation tbh :)
    blobert wrote:
    After a quick rummage I have found two documents: A Vehicle Licencing Certificate (From Dublin Corporation) and a Vehicle Registration Certificate (from the Revenue Commissioners). Both have forms to fill in for changing ownership but the Revenue one says to fill in only if selling PRIOR TO FIRST LICENSING so I'm guessing that one does not apply or need to be given over?

Give it over but don't write on it.
    blobert wrote:
    Oh, and do I take charge for posting off the bottom half of the Green Certificate to Shannon?

Yes.
    blobert wrote:
    And do I keep the top half...

No.
    blobert wrote:
    ...or give it to the buyer?

Yes.
    blobert wrote:
    I'm new to this! Thanks

No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

How to get rid of a car?
    Park it in Darndale, "accidently" leaving the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. That should do it !

Park it in Darndale, "accidently" leaving the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. That should do it !

THATS NOT FUNNY, SMART, OR EVEN AMUSING, YOUR JUST PUSHING A STERIOTYPE, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE IN DARNDALE.

TROLLTARD!!

-VB-

Thanks very much for all the help, I appreciate it. Looks like I might have a few interested parties on www.adverts.ie/22810 also so it's looking good.

Advertisement