Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car for 6 months, Depreciation

Options
  • 30-04-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I will be getting a company car in about 6 months.

My current car is on the way out. I need to get a new one.

If I buy a car, say a 2003 Hyundai Coupe for about 13 or 14k

How much will I loose when I go to sell it in 6 months.

Say for oth a dealer or private?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

you'll probably loose a grand at least on it, depends on who you sell it too. if you can afford to sell it private you might get a big fecking eejit who would pay the same as you do but you might be a while waiting for one of them....cos i dont want a hyandi coupe!!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd buy something older in top nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Thanks fro the replys.

would I be better buying a golf. They keep their vaule well I gather

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

buy a desirable low mileage high spec example and you'll have little or no depreciation.

if its a golf itd want to be one with a decent engine leather seats etc

id be more inclined to get a 00/01 bmw coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Yeah VW hold there value well, get the golf but the other problem is it might not sell really quickly as theres LOADS on carzone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a late 1990s small car like a Fiesta, etc with at least 1 years NCT left on it. In 6 months time chances are you will sell it on at almost the same price you paid for it.

Older cars have already suffered from high depreciation at this stage. The newer the car the higher the depreciation it looses.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lots of (maybe conflicting) advice, but I would go with the safe and prudent option:
    bazz26 wrote:
    Buy a late 1990s small car like a Fiesta, etc with at least 1 years NCT left on it. In 6 months time chances are you will sell it on at almost the same price you paid for it.

Indeed. Depending on your buying and selling skills, the worst case scenario looks like a quick sale down a few hundred. The best case looks
    like a quick sale down nowt :)

Advertisement