Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Is it possible to clone or otherwise remove the annoying cable from this shot?

478183326_2e1cc04eeb_b.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A very slow, careful tedious job of cloning out the cable would work. It just takes time.

I might give it a try later, and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Brickwork is actually really easy to clone over as it's all one big pattern. Around the arch is a little tricksy - I could remove it, but I think the juxtaposition is fine as-is.

I also bleached it and burned in the shadows around the arch to make the cables less obvious:

478380491_b401025178_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah now you see that looks much better! Any chance you'd talk through that when you have a chance Mark? I can't seem to get to grips with cloning. Is it the clone stamp tool? Normal presets?

Just create a new layer and set the clone tool to "current layer and below" and start cloning. Bleaching took a good bit more work. I've toned down my action to produce less contrast, added another soft light layer on top of that to darken the image, and a deep blue colour filter to shift the colours.

After that I dodged midtones and burnt shadows to edge the bricks and lettering like they are and lastly ran it through Lightroom to tweak the colours

Not quite, but getting there :D Thanks Mark! That was a great help.

478444400_3fea791621_b.jpg

• Advertisement

I think you overdid the burning a little, but it's nice start Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Heal brush for the win. Its magic.

Just looking at the healing brush now.. Hmm! Off to find tutorials... Yep Mark - I had the image open at 16% or something. Looking at it full size I can see the over-burning. Gotta remember that one :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I actually have loads of video tutorials. I had a year's subscription to Digital Photo magazine, and have all the video tutorials.

If anyone wants to borrow, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

The only time I manage to use the healing brush is if I'm working on an area with no pattern or a random one. If you go near an edge with it, it gets all mixed up with what's supposed to be dark or light and I get a lot of that funny feathery bleeding going on. Is there a trick to using it on edges that I'm missing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement