Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big flying beetle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a may bug .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer. Maybe he hasn't looked at the calendar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

He's quite the poser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

lovely catch well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think they make weird cocoons under the ground. They look like something from Aliens. May be mistaken though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

great pics, after seeing those am mad I didn't take couple pics of two chafers I saw today, one big brown/white speckled and a medium brownish black one.

I was painting windows too engrossed in the job I suppose:( ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

its a dung beetle
    id say so anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

He's definitely a cockchafer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pj24052007

holy crap myself and the kids seen this bouncing off our back door and freaked out this evenining and are a bit freaked out.... i caught him in a plastic mug when he was stunned and dont know what to do.. we have never seen anything like it here and a little scared to be honest. do you know any more about this flying bug???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pj24052007

oh my god i have never seen this and am a little freaked out after catching one because the kids where freaked more than me so i had to be brave

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nothing to be scared of, they appear every year about this time, surprisingly enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My daughter loves them.
    They come to moth traps, can have 30 in a night.
    One time she built an obstacle course for them and she's also taken them for walks with them crawling on her clothing.

Not exactly the kindest thing for them,:o but I see it as nothing worse than disturbing their day's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Found one in Wexford today, not the biggest, about 15mm long, saw a scary sized one a couple of years ago that did look like something from Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Yes... as others have pointed out this is a cockchaffer or maybug. Yours is a female I think... you can tell by counting the "leaves" on their feathery antennae -- males have seven on each side, whereas females only have six.

Brilliant insects :-).

Advertisement