Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save our Seafront

Options
  • 30-04-2007 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I got one of these flyers throught the door, about the plans regarding the Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Killiney seafront.

Who in their right mind even entertains high rise developments right on the seafront. Surely this is just pure greed on behalf of DLR Council and the developers. I mean, a 12 storey development on Carlisle Pier wtf?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Any chance of uploading the flyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'll try and scan the document, but here's a link to their website:-

http://www.saveourseafront.ie/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I know DL harbour very well and I'm not sure who is going to mind losing a tiny part of their view, the high rise apartments across the road, the theatre (!!) or the (overly priced) 40 foot bar and restaurant...

Suppose the pigions will be miffed all the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I have absolutely no problems with developing the seafront as long as it's done properly. It's prime space, which could be used well so it benefits everyone. Going up has to be accepted, I couldn't give two rats bollockses if a row of houses will have an obscured view.

A 12 story development on Carlisle pier, for example would be fantastic for the town. Increased revenue in all areas, publicly accessible (remind yourself what is there now) and another step in the improvement of Dún Laoghaire. Residents have no right to complain; you are not entitled to a view, and in pure rational terms anything would be preferrable to the corrugated iron piece of crap there.

The competition for the pier attracted world famous Architects, intending to create a landmark development putting Dún Laoghaire on the map and in the minds of people. It would really be so good for the area. I just can't fathom the blind ignorance and short-sightedness of people opposing such developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have no problem with development, as long as it is in keeping with the area. A low rise development which opens the area up is fine, but 12 storeys?

Why do they need to build apartments, why not make it a leisure facility, we need them in DLR. They only want to build apartments because it will make loads of money.

The old baths desperately need developing, but again why do any proposals need a tall glass tower, why not go with the original idea of a park with bathing facilities. Oh yeah, a park won't contain €2m apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Have to say, I've lived all my life in Dun Laoghaire and its about time they cleaned up the Carlisle pier, DL and Blackrock baths and other run down areas. I've no problem with new developments as long its for the good of the people of the town! Will be interesting to see what decision Stena come up with about possibly leaving the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dun Laoire is dying economically, all the small shops are shutting down, and its taking longer and longer to get new ones.
    This complex is the only viable answer to that problem.

EDIT: You probably got the leaflet, because the party who highjacked the campaign, are running a candidate in your area for the general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I don't think I'd have a problem with that at all.

The people who are opposing this are probably the same kind of people who were opposing the development in Deerpark a while back - basically those who would rather have public amenities go to waste than an area actually benefiting from inward investment and renewal because of an exaggerated sentimentality to something they never really showed much of an interest in previously. I'm looking at you Mount Merrion RA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

With regards to Deerpark, why should public land be closed off with high fencing and gates?.

Advertisement