Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iPod solution for '00 Hyundai Coupe

Options
  • 29-04-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

So after making a thread last week about the Coupe, I've ended up buying one! Black, '00, 39k miles, in mint condition. Only problem is there's only a radio/cassette, no CD player. I've decided this needs replacing.

So I think this could be the perfect time to retire my iTrip knock-off. Although it works fine, the sound quality is merely ok. What I'm looking for is a head unit that, say connects to the bottom of the iPod so it can be charged and controlled from the head unit, while sitting in a cradle, like a mobile. The cd player aspect is almost secondary as I listen to all my music on the iPod now.

Anyone one have any recommendations? I'll probably keep using the stock speakers, at least for the time being, as they sound ok and I don't feel like replacing them just yet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know Alpine do headunits with Ipod inputs, they also do a control box that lets you control the functions of the ipod and use the headunit display to see track information. Halfords sell these, and they cost around 300 quid fitted

DO you need the ipod to be controlled from the headunit buttons?

If not, there's a denison product in Argos for around 150 quid that plugs into the aeriel socket of any stereo and also gets wired into the car, it charges the ipod and also connects it to your headunit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Yeah that Alpine unit sounds like what I'm looking for. Are they hard to fit? I've replaced cd players before, but haven't done any real wiring. Also is there somewhere cheap online to buy this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I got a sony stereo with aux in - allows me to connect my ipod. All the controls are through the Ipod though, which is a slight pain. Got the unit in argos - ~100euro, which included free fitting.

Generally though, removing the car stereo and replacing it with a new one should only require a set of tools for about 10-20 quid - everything else is "slot in"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I bought a Pioneer unit last week for €200 off Pixmania. Same unit wil be available by the end of this week in Ireland and it has direct iPod connection.

I recommend Safesounds in Drumcondra, they will install the DEH-4900IB with iPod interface for €250. They installed a Pioneer iPod setup in my old motor.

I wish I had gone with them because my PixMania didn't have the iPod interface and I also had to buy a harness adaptor for €20 from Halford's. All in I saved €10, but I have had so much hassle it wasn't worth it.

cr1spy wrote:
    Yeah that Alpine unit sounds like what I'm looking for. Are they hard to fit? I've replaced cd players before, but haven't done any real wiring. Also is there somewhere cheap online to buy this stuff?

Halfords will fit it for free if they supply it, AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I put a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP and the CD-IB100 iPod adaptor into my '02 Coupe and its been fine since. I wired it into the glovebox so the ipod is safely out of sight. The ipod is controlled by the buttons on the head unit - it is a bit cryptic to control but you get used to it. You can't really scroll through songs like you can on the ipod yourself - you really need to set up playlists to get the best out of it.
    I bought all the bits from incarexpress.co.uk and installed it myself.

Digging up this thread rather then starting a new one, as my questions are related.

Is there a way of telling what size head unit your car can take? I was looking at the Coupe ('00 1.6 FX) and it has a normal sized stereo, which seems to be the same size as most after-market stereos. Is there a sizing guide somewhere? The car's manual doesn't say anything, and I don't want to buy one only to find it doesn't fit.

Secondly, I was looking at the Sony CDX-GT50UI, seems to have everything I want.

Pixania have it for €184 (http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/546887/art/sony/cdx-gt50ui-cd-mp3-usb-car.html)

Incarexpress.co.uk have it for €186
    (http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CDXGT50UI)

komplett.ie have it for around €200
    (http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=334907)

I've only ever used Komplett before, and had no problems. Has anyone used the other two places before? Are they reliable?

Hyundai use aftermarket stereos as standard so you'll be grand. Any single DIN (standard size) one will fit.
    I bought my stuff from incarexpress, they were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I fitted a single DIN stereo (Panasonic) to my sister's Coup at Christmas. I had to do a little trimming of the plastic stereo surround in order to fit it.
    I would go for the Alpine unit too, they make really nice stuff, plus you have the added benefits of controlling you iPod from the head unit/remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Pixmania are fine. Fast delivery too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've used Incarexpress in the past too, no delivery issues or anything.

Grand I'll order it off Pixmania today. Thanks for the help lads.

Actually while I'm at it, any recommendations for what speakers should go with it in the future if I want to upgrade further? I listen to wide range of music, mostly rock though. Not bothered with getting extra amps or subs or anything, just replacing the stock speakers. The Sony unit is rated at 4x50w if that helps.

Dunno about the '00 model but the speakers in my '02 are great. That said I did come from a Ford Fiesta with only 2 speakers in it before getting the coupe!

THe speakers are grand, but the dash and doors rattle too much. some extra sound deadening on the plastic panels would be a help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

cr1spy wrote:
    Digging up this thread rather then starting a new one, as my questions are related.

Is there a way of telling what size head unit your car can take? I was looking at the Coupe ('00 1.6 FX) and it has a normal sized stereo, which seems to be the same size as most after-market stereos. Is there a sizing guide somewhere? The car's manual doesn't say anything, and I don't want to buy one only to find it doesn't fit.

Secondly, I was looking at the Sony CDX-GT50UI, seems to have everything I want.

I've only ever used Komplett before, and had no problems. Has anyone used the other two places before? Are they reliable?

00 coupes-As far as I can remember dont have a standard fit unit in the dash--It DOES look the same size but when you remove the old one its slightly smaller and an after market one fits in at an upward angle and looks sh!t--Its also held in with 4 torx screws on a stupid bracket thats a pain to get out.
    You have to buy a DIN sized facia from a main dealer.Roughly around 30-40 euros the last time I sold one.You can cut the old one with a dremel but you`d want to be neat enough.

Advertisement