Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another "Moving to the uk, what to do with the car" thread ...

Options
  • 29-04-2007 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

as the title says: living in Leinster, moving to London in 1 month. I know I won't need the car in London, but I plan to rent a place outside London so wife might find the car handy.

I drive a VW Golf 2001 1.6.

I am considering my choices:

- keep the car, reg it and insure it n the UK. My question is: is hard to sell it or trade it in after while ? I am aware that cars are much cheaper there and higher spec. Is it going to be hard to sell it because it has no history in the UK. Are the car specs(engine and parts) exactly the same.

- try to sell it here before leaving. I am a bit reluctant to do this because it is not easy and I might be losing good money as reallistically I won't have the time to wait too much. Also like the car.

Any practical advice is welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Golfs are generally cheaper in the UK so it's a toss up between what you might lose selling it there versus what you'd lose selling it in Ireland before you go. Also keep in mind you'll have the cost factor of getting it to the UK, and the convenience factor to take into account being able to hit the ground running there with a car.

It's a personal choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

Will I be able to trade it in or sell it privately in the UK after a while though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

if it has dealer service history you will have no problem selling it in England, but you will get about €2000+ less than you would over here.
    if it had no history you will be looking at a bigger loss.
    most people in england do a HPI check before they buy a car, but yours will only have a record from when it was brought into the UK, so no service history will put them off it.

you would be far better selling it here and buying something over there if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

ya man, just sell it here. get the money and buy one in London.It is far easier!!

Advertisement